riggsjr

Can you discharge a firearm in Belle Mead NJ?

9 minutes ago, KBfishing said:

Yes. The town can more strict than state. 

Yup - just read the hunting ordinances for Gloucester Township to see how far local munis go:

https://sites.google.com/site/glotwpcode/TABLE-OF-CONTENTS/part-ii---regulatory-ordinances/chapter-60-hunting-and-firearms

C. No person except the owner or lessee of the property persons specifically authorized by him in writing shall hunt, discharge or have in his possession a loaded gun while within One Thousand Five Hundred (1,500) feet of any occupied dwelling in the Township of Gloucester or Township Recreational building or field or within One Thousand Five Hundred (1,500) feet of a school playground.[Added on 03-26-07 by Ord. O-07-10] 

I challenge you to find anywhere within Gloucester Township that is NOT within 1,500 feet of a twp recreational building/field, or a school playground or a dwelling not on the property being hunted.

They might as well just have said within 500 miles, same effect. Or better yet, just come out and say what they mean, "We don't want hunters here."

That is how local munis can prohibit hunting in this state, at least gun hunting (but I'm sure they can do the same with bow).

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

They might as well just have said within 500 miles, same effect. Or better yet, just come out and say what they mean, "We don't want hunters here."

That is how local munis can prohibit hunting in this state, at least gun hunting (but I'm sure they can do the same with bow).

Precisely my point.  I'm not arguing whether they currently can do this (now that I've been educated on it), I'm arguing why they are permitted to when there is questionable merit in such a municipal law.  What could possibly require 1500 ft in Gloucester Township in the interest of safety per "municipality judgement" when NJDFW deems 450 ft safe for hunting with a firearm everywhere else in NJ?

Just a follow up to the original post by John......I am the one that asked John to be sure it was legal to hunt in the area that he just received permission to hunt....I couldn't get an answer from the police dept.  when I called yesterday.....there wasn't anyone there to answer the question...that's why he made the post with the question.

I got in touch with the clerk this morning that was able to answer the question......the answer was that ......Belle Mead is just a mailing address withing Montgomery township. where hunting and discharging a firearm is LEGAL..........I know that there are many areas and towns that do not allow a "discharge of a firearm".......but just wanted to be sure.

A great big thanks to everyone that had some input in this post.....Good luck to everyone the next couple of weeks......hunt safe and have a Happy Thanksgiving !!!

Danny V

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

They can, but would it really make sense for the benefit of the people?  Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should be doing it.

I agree but some town councils are not hunters and only think they are helping by making the town safer if guns cannot be shot. They don't understand that soemone with 300 acres might be able to shoot safely. Meanwhile the guy or gal with 300 acres doesnt know that the council is looking to pass the measure and they can't voice their concerns prior to an ordinance being created. 

Moral of the story-every municipality has a code book which contains all of their ordinances, and in this day and age, they are all online.  Get the facts straight from the source.  

• Like 1

I’ve been on the Montgomery Deer Management Program for years and can tell you certain properties are open to Hunting with firearms as per the program rules.  I doubt there is a no-discharge ordinance in Montgomery/Belle Meade/Blauenburg, but as pointed out in prior posts, and like I do when in doubt/question for stuff like this, call the local cops and/or NJF&G.

Edited by IthacaDS3
  • Like 1