IGNORED

Gunsmith question

mattg1500

Who is mounting your scopes for you?

I have a scope mounting kit and use a bench sled to mount all of my scopes.  I go through a rather meticulous process to get them all mounted and have never had problems.

Also, it might not be the scope but could be the action.  If gas is escaping from the action and barrel after the shell ignites, the muzzle velocity will drop, and the range of the shell will drop significantly.  The action, barrel, and shell need to be a sealed system.  Any loss of pressure and subsequently muzzle velocity will cause that slug to drop sooner than later.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

17 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

There are some things I just don't need to know....  :rofl:

Oop sorry.Just flew in from Vegas.Glad all was well in newhumpshire

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I would put the iron sights back on and see how it fares against a 4" pie plate at 50ya.  Should be no trouble.

Also, get a rock solid benchrest for the front and a bag for the rear.  Remove the human factor from the shot.

At what distance are the rounds taking dirt naps?  Can you get groups at 50ya? 

Get to the range with a borescope and chronometer.  Determine where the bore and reticle intersect.  Also, as mentioned by HH above, get some speed data.

Edited by username

22 hours ago, mattg1500 said:

I have a 12ga Mossberg 500 slug gun that was my first shotgun, 16yrs ago and I have killed many deer with it but every year I had issues. I put it in the safe years ago and now i took it back out. It shot lightfields great but after about 5yrs it started digging potatoes. It will not send a slug 25yds. I have tried numerous scopes and brought it to a gunsmith who said everything is fine and in line. I will max out elevation on a scope at 50yds and it will hit dirt 10' before the target. Just bought a 12ga in chamber bore sight and threw a red dot on the gun. I have the sight maxxed out and the dot from boresight is still a few inches below. Any Ideas? 

Bad barrel,and or mate to reciever.Gases are escaping back.Low recoil?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Who is mounting your scopes for you?

I have a scope mounting kit and use a bench sled to mount all of my scopes.  I go through a rather meticulous process to get them all mounted and have never had problems.

Also, it might not be the scope but could be the action.  If gas is escaping from the action and barrel after the shell ignites, the muzzle velocity will drop, and the range of the shell will drop significantly.  The action, barrel, and shell need to be a sealed system.  Any loss of pressure and subsequently muzzle velocity will cause that slug to drop sooner than later.

I mount all my scopes with my wheeler set. Mounting is not an issue. I have done hundreds and have never had an issue. Like I said from the beginning the gun and scope zeroed fine @ 100yds the first year I had it. I killed a deer and put it in the safe.

Following year I head to range to verify zero. Group not centered so I adjust. Kill a deer, put it in safe.

Next year same story. I should and dont ever adjust a scope yearly. Weather conditions are the only think i have throw off my zero.

This goes on for another year until my vx2 no longer has elevation adjustment on it. Completely maxxed out. Now i take it to a smith and he says guns fine. I replace with a new vx2 and same issue. At 50yds the slugs are hitting dirt around the 25-30yd mark. Recoil still kicks like a mule and will bruise your shoulder. 

25yds I was able to hit a pizza box and adjust the scope to verify its moving but i go right to max elevation and still to low no matter what slugs I use. I stripped gun, cleaned inspected. Heritage kept it for a week and gave it the ok. Sarco smith gave it the ok but even they could not zero the bastard. 

Since it was sighted in and there were no other variables other than rounds fired im thinking something warped or something.

This is the only gun i have and ever had an issue with. I can grab any one of my rifles and head to the range and send down an moa group or better but this slug gun shits got me stumped. When can i use a straight wall rifle in NJ

I mount all my scopes with my wheeler set. Mounting is not an issue. I have done hundreds and have never had an issue. Like I said from the beginning the gun and scope zeroed fine @ 100yds the first year I had it. I killed a deer and put it in the safe.
Following year I head to range to verify zero. Group not centered so I adjust. Kill a deer, put it in safe.
Next year same story. I should and dont ever adjust a scope yearly. Weather conditions are the only think i have throw off my zero.
This goes on for another year until my vx2 no longer has elevation adjustment on it. Completely maxxed out. Now i take it to a smith and he says guns fine. I replace with a new vx2 and same issue. At 50yds the slugs are hitting dirt around the 25-30yd mark. Recoil still kicks like a mule and will bruise your shoulder. 
25yds I was able to hit a pizza box and adjust the scope to verify its moving but i go right to max elevation and still to low no matter what slugs I use. I stripped gun, cleaned inspected. Heritage kept it for a week and gave it the ok. Sarco smith gave it the ok but even they could not zero the bastard. 
Since it was sighted in and there were no other variables other than rounds fired im thinking something warped or something.
This is the only gun i have and ever had an issue with. I can grab any one of my rifles and head to the range and send down an moa group or better but this slug gun shits got me stumped. When can i use a straight wall rifle in NJ

They are cancelling the season over here. Stay on your side of the river and hunt with your rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

7 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Sounds dumb but a friend of mine had issue similar but couldnt get zeroed,  scope was sideways..  I'm sure it's in right but hey shit happens

My buddy had that happen to him, we went to the range and he couldn't zero in, so when I was done shooting I checked his gun out,sure than shit his scope was mounted sideways, a kid at Cabelas mounted the scope so up and down was left and right. We spun the scope and zeroed the gun in within a couple of shots:up:

4 hours ago, bucky said:

My buddy had that happen to him, we went to the range and he couldn't zero in, so when I was done shooting I checked his gun out,sure than shit his scope was mounted sideways, a kid at Cabelas mounted the scope so up and down was left and right. We spun the scope and zeroed the gun in within a couple of shots:up:

nope all mounted right. and you cant really mess up a red dot

On 11/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, mattg1500 said:

It makes sense I just wish there was some evidence or wear or something. I wonder if a new barrel will help, or is it the receiver? And you need to change your avatar. Its a University now not college LOL My wife went there and I have family that work there.

Good point!  Gotta update the avatar!  Thanks. I also like the point of gasses escaping. If you remove the barrel after shooting there may be evidence of blow-by on the interior of the receiver where the barrel slides into the receiver. If this is the case, powder burn would be seen where the two metals join. My opinion though...if that’s the case and the cost of these guns...it’s probably not worth repairing. I’d slap a field barrel on it and see if it shoots patterns too but I think you said it only has the slug barrel?  Maybe somebody here has a field barrel you can borrow and meet them at the range to see how it patterns?  If it patterns fine, you know it’s the slug barrel...if it doesn’t, you know it’s the receiver that’s screwed up. If it’s the barrel...great news. If it’s the receiver...probably not worth fixing. 

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"