IGNORED

Personal best ADK buck.

mikejd

15 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

Great buck! Congrats! How about a story to go with the picture too.:up:

Well I somewhat owe a thanks to my neighbor. We were hunting on week old snow so tracks were everywhere and it was clear that the bucks were on the move laying tracks down every night. There were so many tracks they were hard to stay with. The snow was old and sugary so it was even tough aging them. We had 8 men in camp on this particular day and 4 of them were heading home in the morning so we were working together to see if we could get one on his feet. We had moved some deer but no bucks. We headed back to camp for a late lunch at about 1:30. We had eaten a quick lunch and guys were hanging around deciding were to sit for the rest of the day. This is when my neighbor shows up. Now His property adjoins ours but he is probably a few miles down the road so we dont always see him. He was telling a few of our guys about a big 10pt that he had on camera so he hunted over to our camp to see if we were around to show us the pics. While he was sitting in camp showing us the pics he says that he just jumped a buck on our ridge said it looked like atleast 3 on one side but not the 10 he was after. So now I knew I had a buck track that was no more then a half hr old. I asked him if he minded if I go kill his buck. I new it was a little lte to take a track but what the hell. I looked at a good friend of mine that i often double team with. He looked at me and said he is all yours. I was on his track within 20 minutes but I new it was late. It didnt take long before he was tangled up with a million old tracks and I was having trouble staying with him. Before long I gave up and decided to loop around two small ridges to see if anything fresh was around. I came up on 2 beautiful fresh beds side by side and one was real big. i got down to take a wiff and the big one was definitely a buck. This was when I realized that i was only about 150yds from a stand of mine and thought to myself i bet i could have seen these deer from that stand had I been in it. At that point with only 45 minutes of shooting light left i said what the hell i may as well finish the day there. 45 minutes later I was just about to get down I see something sneeking in. I was barely able to tell it was a buck. I turned to get ready for a shot and my ladder creaked and he looked right at me. I had no shot at this point because of brush. He seamed to settle down and began walking towards the only good shot i had. I had my gun on the spot but he stopped behind this big group of trees for about 2 minutes. My arms were killing me i wanted to rest my gun I actually called myself a P#$$y a few times and talked myself into holding on. Well I guess he was thinking about that creak because the next veiw I had was his back and he was heading out of dodge.  I let the 760 pump gun ride and fired 3 quick shots. I new I hit him then he turned and gave me a neck view and put the 4th in his neck and he was down. The first shot was strait into his back ripping his lungs up the next 2 must have hit brush and the 4th hit his neck and he was down. If I new the first shot was as good as it was I would have just let him go down but i wasnt taking that chance.

I flipped on my radio and 2 buddies came to help me get him out. I asked were my dad was and they said he thought you said you shot a puppy so he was not coming down to see some dink. When we got him back to camp it was celebrating all around as they couldnt believe my "Dink"