IGNORED

Welding Questions

I have zero experience welding but looking to learn enough to do some basic welding. I have a future project in mind that will require me to weld steel to steel. I want to buy a welder but seeing as how I'm just going to be playing around with it for now I don't want to go crazy. So my questions are

1. What type of welding should I be looking to do? My research suggests either MIG or stick (SMAW) would fit my needs the best.

2. What type of welder should I be looking to buy? I don't want to spend a ton of money but I also don't want to buy a welder that isn't robust enough.

3. Are there any important bells and whistles that I should look for in a welder?

Thank you in advance.

It depends on what kind of welding you will be doing. Believe it or not, for a garage project, a Harbor Freight machine will do fine. The 110 stick machines won't work well for thicker metals. A mig will allow you to fill in thicker metal. Duty cycle only becomes important if you are welding for a long continuous time. Hobby welding shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In would skip over 120 volt machines and get a 220 volt machine.   For basic mild steel jobs a stick welder would cost less than a mig welder.  The biggest draw back is stick welding takes more skill than spurting some metal wire.   I would also get a DC machine.  You will have more options when it comes to welding rod.  What type  of jobs do you have planned? 

Edited by CJ3a

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

6 minutes ago, CJ3a said:

In would skip over 120 volt machines and get a 220 volt machine.   For basic mild steel jobs a stick welder would cost less than a mig welder.  The biggest draw back is stick welding takes more skill than spurting some metal wire.   I would also get a DC machine.  You will have more options when it comes to welding rod.  What type  of jobs do you have planned? 

Possible future projects include modifications to a steel trailer but not in any areas that would be load bearing. Another would be welding a frame for a platform on top of a bus, the supports of which would tie into the steel roof bows. 

Go mig. 110v will be fine for what you described. You will need flux core wire or rent a bottle of 75/25 from a welding supply store for regular mild steel. 

You can learn heat settings and wire speed easily. 

It's all puddle control. You can learn mig in 10 mins. Very easy. If your close to Howell I can help you out

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW