IGNORED

what is the quality of the stocked birds you are seeing?

mazzgolf

The birds are bigger  but not as good as the state raised birds .I thing the guys are spending the birds out more when they stock  put the number up north still suck not what it use to be . I wish they would buy more birds and put out what they use to raise the price of stamps  if they have to . Black river is nothing  what it use to be. That's why there are less guys hunting. 

7 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

The roosters are big but the hens are small. As said above not as many guys around in Northern WMA’s from what I have seen. The stocking at Clinton WMA is being done differently since the numbers were drastically reduced. It seems they are alternating areas being stocked. Not all areas are being stocked at every stocking like in the past. The presence/absence of cart tracks in the morning tells the story

That explains why we didn’t see a single bird this morning at the spot we hunted in Clinton. Same for the other hunters we spoke to at that same spot.  Not a one. 

All of this could be alleviated if the state would stop announcing the stocking days. I’ve been saying this for years. Same amount of birds each week except rotate the days weekly and make it unannounced. It just gets ridiculous when we are talking what sides of the fields they stock, guys following tire tracks etc. what ever happened to just plain old hunting? 

40 minutes ago, Mixbaghunter said:

the number up north still suck not what it use to be . I wish they would buy more birds and put out what they use to raise the price of stamps

They actually did get more birds this year compared to last. 52,440 total birds this year compared to 45,080 in 2018 and 45,090 in 2017. It was 50,030 in 2016, but that's still lower than this year.

The numbers up North for 2019 actually increased from last year - up about 15%. Yes, down about 14% when compared to 2016 (the last year before the reduction) but did increase from the previous two years.

That said, the North is *still* getting more birds than South and Central in absolute numbers.

North Birds in 2016: 23,640
2017: 18,330
2018: 17,670
2019: 20,360

In the "lean year" (2018) the North still got 17,670 birds - which is more than the South and Central has ever gotten (even compared to this year - Central is getting 15,070 and South 17,010).

So in absolute numbers, the North is still getting more birds as a region, compared to the other two.

Coming from a South hunter, even with getting lower numbers than the North, I'm happy with the price of the stamp and the number of birds as-is.

I wish the state would start stocking bigger bucks in south jersey. Seems like all the big bucks were stocked in zone 2 and zone 5 this year as evidenced by Jack's kills. LOL. The birds are definitely much bigger than the state birds were from the ones I have seen. It also appears the guys I spoke to are happy with these new bought birds.