IGNORED

Venison yield

roy381

I have been butchering my own deer for about 20 years, and as I grow older and time gets away from me I was forced to have a deer butchered professionally this year. I will say that when I do them myself, I have a higher yield but I’m less picky with trimming if I know I’m going to grind/chop, use for jerky/chili etc. I was happy with what I received from butcher, and would suggest you gauge your satisfaction on the quality of meat you receive back rather than quantity. If you are getting back beautifully trimmed cuts with no sinue or silver skin, bravo to the butcher. Also realize that if your doing a straight grind vs Pork/beef added, your yield will be significantly different.  Convenience of having butcher do the dirty work sometimes means your not going to get the meticulously trimmed scraps that would be removed if you were to do it yourself. Either way... you harvested a deer and kudos! Many other hunters without a deer wish they were in your position lol.  Just my 2 cents. Happy hunting to all!

What do guys that get lower yield back than they were expecting think the butcher is doing, stealing/keeping the meat for themselves to sell? Just sloppy and wasting/losing it? Something else?

I would imagine butchers get stuck with people not picking up their deer so doubt they keep extra but could be wrong. 

Edited by Herd Buck

Hey folks, listen I'm asking for my own reference for the future. $150 bucks isn't cheap for processing without specialties except sausage. I'm not here to accuse processors of scamming. I just thought it would bring me more than I got back. Thanks for all the responses. Now I know for the future.

4 minutes ago, roy381 said:

Hey folks, listen I'm asking for my own reference for the future. $150 bucks isn't cheap for processing without specialties except sausage. I'm not here to accuse processors of scamming. I just thought it would bring me more than I got back. Thanks for all the responses. Now I know for the future.

Roy, I understand and didn’t think you were making any accusations. At 160lbs field dressed, you should have gotten back at least 50lbs in my conservative estimate.  Maybe another 10 pounds if butcher took some extra time to cut smaller yield pieces off the carcass.  And adding specialty sausage where pork/beef fat is added, 39 pounds does seem rather light.  Maybe try another butcher in the future, or find a friend that knows how to cut the deer up and you’ll never have to worry about it haha. Couple beers and  helping hand to butcher is much less expensive than 150$.