IGNORED

Smokers

ElevatedHunter

Anyone have any recommendations for good reliable, but not overly priced smokers. Looking to add another smoker. 

I built a UDS from a 55 gallon drum and let me tell you what, that thing is a cooking/smoking machine. Never smoked before and they food that I have been making in that thing have been coming out phenomenal!! Now i'm looking for something a little more accurate with the temps so I can start making jerky and sticks and what not! 

2 hours ago, Slayer1962 said:

good information . I have been kicking a smoker around for years . My nephew does some awesome cooking in one ( pellet) 

The beauty of pellet smoker is not having to watch it for hrs. I place my pork shoulder 3 am in the smoker and go back to sleep. Check on it in the morning, and then I go about my business until its done in PM.

Suggestions  on  today's modern electric smokers sounds good,here's  my 2 cents,what I used to do back in the day.When I smoked I had a little chief.Yeah I know,ancient history.Hard to maintain temp,especially in the cold,even when I wrapped it with insulation. SO I've made a ton of jerky though in the house stove oven.I don't have my recipes anymore for the marinade but hey now we have Google. Rectangular Tupperware 4 days in the refrigerator I do remember brown sugar white sugar definitely kosher salt there was a hickory flavored powder if you can find it good red wine that you would drink not that cooking wine,depending on your flavor preference add something to make it hot or Teriyaki or something to make it sweet. I only used the upper back leg portion for the meat sliced no smaller than 1/4 inch as it sweats and drys it will shrink,I did not like paper thin crunchy jerky get yourself a box of round toothpicks line the bottom of your oven with aluminum foil to catch the drippings stick a toothpick through the end of each piece get one of those thermometers you hang in the oven, hang the meat with the toothpicks on the oven racks,set oven around 180 with door ajar 2 or 3 inchs,nyou want to maintain 160 for about 4 hours take a piece out to check  doneness. Of course it will be wet and plyable  when you first take it out of the oven, don't let that fool you and over dry it let it cool down for 10 or 15 minutes experiment with small batches till you find what you like.I used to do four or six deer a year like this I had it down to a science and it was good and gone when sitting in a tree waiting for my next meat.Good Luck.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt