Planting your own birds on wma?

MikeStaten

11 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

nickmarch - 

If you are indeed a lawyer, you are a piss poor one.  If you read the NJ regs on possession and liberation of wildlife... it is ABUNDANTLY clear that the focus of the statute is to protect the environment from release of  unwanted species.   There is virtually nothing in the statute regarding release of gamebirds.  

The fact that one is specifically permitted, under existing regulations, to release legally obtained gamebirds on state WMA's for training purposes, including killing of those birds, under specified circumstance...OBVIATES the ability of an individual to do the same on private land. 

Further...No CO would waste their time prosecuting a person for releasing legally purchased gamebirds on private land...because it would get thrown out of court...  AND the CO would probably get ther A$$ reamed for wasting everyone's time and embarassing the Division.  

Anyone can be a sh!thouse lawyer and argue that the world is flat.  But we all must ultimately live in the real world.    

Yes... you can buy gamebirds from a properly licensed supplier and with a receipt from that supplier, keep the birds for a reasonable time and release them on Training WMA's any time of the year and other WMA's within the specified timeframe.  You can also release those birds on private land where you have permission to do so.   

NOTHING in the regulations says you cannot...which means YOU CAN.

If you get a written statement from the Division of Fish and Game that +ays different...post it here.  Otherwise...Get over it.

RayG

Just heard from DEP:

Me:

Good afternoon, 

If possible, can you clarify something for me? If I read this correctly: https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/dogtrainregs.pdf I can legally purchase game birds and release them on a wma (in season) so long as the following:

1- have receipt for licensed game bird provider

2- Must follow bag limits 

Are there any other permits needed?

DEP Fish and Wildlife Response:

"It seems like you’ve already seen the regulations here:

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/dogtrainregs.pdf

So yes, the receipt, and you cannot take the birds out of season."

There ya go Marsh!  Straight from the DEP. 

Anyone can PM me and I will gladly provide the email exchange. 

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Just heard from DEP:

Me:

Good afternoon, 

If possible, can you clarify something for me? If I read this correctly: https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/dogtrainregs.pdf I can legally purchase game birds and release them on a wma (in season) so long as the following:

1- have receipt for licensed game bird provider

2- Must follow bag limits 

Are there any other permits needed?

DEP Fish and Wildlife Response:

"It seems like you’ve already seen the regulations here:

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/dogtrainregs.pdf

So yes, the receipt, and you cannot take the birds out of season."

There ya go Marsh!  Straight from the DEP. 

Anyone can PM me and I will gladly provide the email exchange. 

I will go by what the codified regulations clearly say.  I certainly won't pay any attention to some made up phone email that you made yourself.  

3 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

I will go by what the codified regulations clearly say.  I certainly won't pay any attention to some made up phone email that you made yourself.  

Excellent.  Please do so.  No more input needed here.