IGNORED

Planting your own birds on wma?

MikeStaten

42 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

I believe it is no problem planting pheasants on a wma provided that you have a receipt from a game farm and you abide by the 2 bird limit.  You also can't prevent others from hunting the birds yoy plant.  However, what are the rules regarding planting chukar?  

Same rules for pheasants and chukar.

Also, you can release as many as you want, but … as soon as you release them, they belong to the state and are covered by all hunting regulations.

Edited by Jim_

17 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

Same rules for pheasants and chukar.

Also, you can release as many as you want, but … as soon as you release them, they belong to the state and are covered by all hunting regulations.

Thanks.  I did some reading and that's what I thought.  So 2 pheasants and 7 chukars would be the total limit.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Reeltight said:

Are you only allowed to release them for dog training? Or can you release them and go hunting for them without a dog?

Lol is that a real question? What’s the point? That’s not hunting haha. Knowing where you put the bird and the. Walking back and shooting it? 

just go Shoot Some clays then get a chicken sandwich on the way home... 

Lol is that a real question? What’s the point? That’s not hunting haha. Knowing where you put the bird and the. Walking back and shooting it? 

Lol.. it would be harder than sending a dog to find it.

I've stocked my own birds when I was younger then go after them with a bow... just dont rock them to sleep.. tilt the crate and let them walk out into a bush- they will be gone most of the time you find them pretty far from where you put them..

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

1 hour ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Yes it’s a real question.
The “point” would be to introduce two young boys to pheasant hunting without having to spend $400 at a game preserve or having to deal with the orange army with two young kids on a Saturday  at a WMA during stocking season.  

Edited by Reeltight