MikeStaten

Planting your own birds on wma?

I believe it is no problem planting pheasants on a wma provided that you have a receipt from a game farm and you abide by the 2 bird limit.  You also can't prevent others from hunting the birds yoy plant.  However, what are the rules regarding planting chukar?  

42 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

I believe it is no problem planting pheasants on a wma provided that you have a receipt from a game farm and you abide by the 2 bird limit.  You also can't prevent others from hunting the birds yoy plant.  However, what are the rules regarding planting chukar?  

Same rules for pheasants and chukar.

Also, you can release as many as you want, but … as soon as you release them, they belong to the state and are covered by all hunting regulations.

Edited by Jim_

17 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

Same rules for pheasants and chukar.

Also, you can release as many as you want, but … as soon as you release them, they belong to the state and are covered by all hunting regulations.

Thanks.  I did some reading and that's what I thought.  So 2 pheasants and 7 chukars would be the total limit.

• Like 1

Just need a receipt from a state recognized game bird dealer and follow the state bag limit chukar are partridge which is 7 bag limit 

Are you only allowed to release them for dog training? Or can you release them and go hunting for them without a dog?

29 minutes ago, Reeltight said:

Are you only allowed to release them for dog training? Or can you release them and go hunting for them without a dog?

Lol is that a real question? What’s the point? That’s not hunting haha. Knowing where you put the bird and the. Walking back and shooting it? 

just go Shoot Some clays then get a chicken sandwich on the way home... 

• Like 1

There are a lot of places on state land that is not pheasant stocked WMA that would be perfect for this.  Paulinskill WMA and Waywayanda SP come to mind. If I had a dog I would be stocking these places

Lol is that a real question? What’s the point? That’s not hunting haha. Knowing where you put the bird and the. Walking back and shooting it? 

Lol.. it would be harder than sending a dog to find it.

I've stocked my own birds when I was younger then go after them with a bow... just dont rock them to sleep.. tilt the crate and let them walk out into a bush- they will be gone most of the time you find them pretty far from where you put them..

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

• Like 2

Anyone know where I can buy a few deer to tie to a tree 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Yes it’s a real question.
The “point” would be to introduce two young boys to pheasant hunting without having to spend $400 at a game preserve or having to deal with the orange army with two young kids on a Saturday  at a WMA during stocking season.  

Edited by Reeltight
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, smittty said:

Anyone know where I can buy a few deer to tie to a tree 

Buy some corn put said corn on ground shoot deer as they cone to eat it. 

• Haha 1