Ryanm

First time state land hunting experience

Went with a buddy and his daughter to flat brook. Got there around 6. Funny thing is I only had an orange hat, my buddy gave me an orange vest and goes oh you’ll need this. Had a cockbird fly from parking lot into corner of a field before shooting time we spread out to walk the hedgerow tiny field to meet each other. LST, we load up and start our walk 3-4 guys just come right in between us shooting in all directions at birds they put up. My buddy managed two hen pheasants and I missed one cock bird that someone else put up later on. Orange army all over. Pellets raining down on top of me. That was the only shot I had. I told my buddy if I knew that’s how it would have been would have stayed home and drank lol. We left, I decided to hit a different piece of state land on the way home. Not a single car in any parking lots. Hunted a secret hidden away spot, got 2 cockbirds in ten minutes. Saw 4 birds total in the second spot. Nice and quiet my type of hunting. Biggest cockbird I ever shot in my life. 

9C5508B0-1E33-4519-B38E-636A56B71589.jpeg

BE0FC964-455E-4BC5-A9A1-975D05279017.jpeg

Edited by Ryanm
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, archer36 said:

Try hunting during the week. It's almost like a preserve. 

I’m sure it is, but I work during the week.

Flatbrook is one of the most crowded locations for pheasant hunting as it’s highly stocked so it’s always jammed packed. My advice is to try a smaller location that they don’t stock as much.

Most foot walkers don’t bother at these locations and I usually hunt Saturday’s alone with my dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, BobbyPheasantsForever said:

Flatbrook is one of the most crowded locations for pheasant hunting as it’s highly stocked so it’s always jammed packed. My advice is to try a smaller location that they don’t stock as much.

Most foot walkers don’t bother at these locations and I usually hunt Saturday’s alone with my dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an easy limit in my second spot and not a single person on the WMA at all in any parking lot. No complaint on that end was just sharing my experience. Wouldn’t bring my kids to flatbrook for sure. Maybe with a dog getting away from crowds but 1 hour drive for me. Wasn’t happy there but was interesting to experience what people talk about. I hunted club property for pheasant my whole life. So didn’t know exactly what to expect.

• Like 1

awesome - those PA birds that NJ  are outsourcing sure look twice the size of the old Rockport birds

Edited by JHbowhunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1