BHC

Muzzleloader Season Soon...What's Your Set Up?

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

And you can check your deer killed with a muzzy on your six day license, not muzzy permit?

Yes must have rifle permit as well

50 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

And you can check your deer killed with a muzzy on your six day license, not muzzy permit?

Yes. You must have a Rifle Permit if using a M/L and a Archery License if you use a "bow". 

Six-day Firearm Season

Bow: long, recurve, ­compound or crossbow.35 pounds pull at archer’s draw length (long and recurve bows) or peak weight (compound bow) or 75 pounds minimum draw weight (crossbow)Arrows must be ­fitted with a well-sharpened metal broadhead with a minimum width of ¾”NOTE: bowhunters must possess both a firearm and a bow and arrow license during this season.Shotgun: single or double barrel, rifled bore or smoothboreNot smaller than 20 gauge and not larger than 10 gauge, capable of holding no more than three shellsSlugs: lead, lead alloy or copper rifled slug or ­sabotted slug

Buck shot: sizes not ­smaller than #4 (0.24″) nor larger than #000 (0.36″)

Shotgun must have an adjustable open iron or peep sight or a scope affixed if hunter is hunting with or in ­possession of slugsMuzzleloader: ­single-shot, single barrel rifle OR ­single or double-barrel smoothbore shotgun. Flintlock, ­percussion and ­­in-line ­ignitions permitted. Electronic ignitions are not legal.Muzzleloading rifle: single shot not less than .44 ­caliber

Smoothbore: single or ­double-barrel not smaller than 20 gauge and not ­larger than 10 gauge

Muzzleloading rifle: single ­projectile

Smoothbore: buck shot not smaller than #4 (0.24″) nor larger than #000 (0.36″) or a single projectile

Telescopic sights permitted

• Like 1

I’m shooting a Thompson Center Pro Hunter, 3x9 Zeiss Conquest scope, 100 gr of Triple 7 pushing 250 gr Barnes MZ sabot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

not sure what I'm doing wrong but I cant get BH209 to consistently ignite in my rifle. Very annoyed. 

1 minute ago, Gman said:

not sure what I'm doing wrong but I cant get BH209 to consistently ignite in my rifle. Very annoyed. 

Blackhorn 209 is only recommended with two specific primers - see attached.

The other thing to check is you breechplug flash channel. It can look clear yet still be obstructed.

https://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/

https://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/breech-plug-cleaning/

I Have Four:

1- TC Triumph; Bushnell Banner 1X-4X with circular reticle; 2White Hot Pellets w/ 240 grain JHP 45 cal pistol bullet and Harvester sabot.

2-TC Black Diamond (safe queen) same load as Triumph;Weaver 4X on see under mounts. The see under mounts are to make cleaning disassembly easier.

3- Bell Perc Hawken caplock (wall decoration) 80grains of black powder. Buffalo Bullet Ball-ette hollow base.

4- Traditions Tennessee Rifle flintlock 70 grains black powder w/patched roundball.

Probably use the Triumph early muzzloader unless I have a deer in the freezer from NYS rifle season.

Latter part of muzzloader season including January in Z5 will use the flintlock.

Cva wolf   2 50 grain pellets 295 grain powerbelt holow point full copper with the scope that comes with the cva wolf sighted in at 100

This thread reminds me I have to renew that stupid NJ rifle permit. It's a shame how they nickle and dime us in this state.

• Agree 1

Gonic. 50cal magnum inline,scoped with a Leopold 2x7. I feed it 120grs of loose pyrodex topped with a 465gr lead slug I cast myself, sparked by a musket cap. Nothing has every escaped her fury.

For those of you that never heard of them, Gonic was a great little manufacturer in New Hampshire that has gone out of business after a legal battle with Thompson Center. Well before Thompson produced the Encore, Gonic was taking Thompson's Contender single shot handgun frames and turning them into muzzleloader rifles very similar to the later Encore. Thompson sued them and came out with the Encore. Gonic also produced inline rifles which is what I have. They were pricey but well worth it at the time, as inlines were just coming out. Mine was about $1200. It was a small family business which was eventually went out of business after the lawsuit

Edited by ELKHUNTJB

On 11/22/2019 at 8:56 AM, Gman said:

What gun...just addressed this problem 

On 11/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, 230jhp said:

This thread reminds me I have to renew that stupid NJ rifle permit. It's a shame how they nickle and dime us in this state.

I remember when the rifle permit was good for 10 years.