IGNORED

e bike for hunting

Slayer1962

So i finally got my e bike and took it to a local park with woods this morning by work. It is a fat tire e bike that I already see is going to be awesome. 

I need to figure out a rack system to go on that rear rack to hold small stuff might just buy a bag made for that. I ordered a Rambo trailer to tow behind it. 

Once i get the trailer I will do a review of the entire rig. The one wheel trailer is as wide as the bike made for narrow trails. 

e bike.jpg

If 750 watts or less and limited to 25 mph or 20 not sure. I bypassed mine for a test ride and its set back to 20 mph max now. 

In NJ they are legal everywhere a bicycle is now. Even the roads and sidewalks! This is why i had a sudden interest in them. 

NJ just changed the law. I am happy with 10 mph if i get a mile in ! 

FYI:  Below is in the digest and don't know if this would be considered a "motorized trailbike" ?

Motor Vehicles

No person shall operate an unregistered vehicle on roads under the control of the Division of Fish and Wildlife. All motor vehicles are restricted to established public roads and parking areas. The use of dog sleds and dog carts, off-road vehicles, ATVs, motorized trailbikes or snowmobiles is prohibited on all Wildlife Management Areas unless authorized by the Division.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

You are here:Home » Blog » Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy » New Law Legalizes E-Bikes and E-Scooters in New Jersey

15 May, 2019

By: BPRC

Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy

Breaking News

E-scooter

News Spotlight

Just in time for summer, Governor Phil Murphy signed legislation (PDF) to clarify New Jersey laws regarding electric bicycles (e-bikes) and adding new regulations for electric scooters (e-scooters). The new law will make it easier for people to travel around New Jersey without using a car.

How does the New Jersey law define e-bikes?

Some e-bikes are nearly indistinguishable from regular bicycles, such as this Luna Fixed Stealth Ebike.

E-bikes generally come in two forms: throttle and pedal assist. On a throttle bicycle, you can engage the throttle to propel forward using only the motor. Pedal assist bicycles give you extra power while you’re already pedaling. Some e-bikes are equipped with both modes.

Under the previous regulatory framework, e-bikes were classified as motorized bicycles (mopeds), and required registration with the MVC. However, the MVC system would not allow registration because the law was written for gas-powered vehicles. That left e-bikes in a legal gray area.

As of May 14, 2019, a brand new vehicle class was added to Title 39: “Low-speed electric bicycle.” This new vehicle is described as “a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts, whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by a motor, while operated by a person weighing 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour.”

The new law allows both “pedal-assist” and “throttle” bicycles. In order to ensure that New Jersey is in line with federal definitions, the new law states that the bicycle must “meet the requirements of one of  the following classifications: “class 1 low-speed electric bicycle” which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; or “class 2 low-speed electric bicycle” which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles.”

Low-speed electric bicycles must follow all the regulations established for traditional bicycles. This means there is no need for a license or registration. However, riders must continue to comply with all the laws that apply to vehicles, such as obeying traffic signals and following the direction of traffic. Like bicycles, e-bikes will be allowed to park on sidewalks, as long as they do not block pedestrian access.

Additionally, the definition of motorized bicycles have been expanded. Aside from continuing to allow gas-powered vehicles, electric bicycles that can achieve speeds between 20 mph and 28 mph now fall under this classification. These vehicles will still require a driver’s license and registration from the MVC.

Low Speed Electric Bicycles:

20 mph max speed

750 watts or less

May be parked on sidewalks without blocking pedestrian traffic

No license, insurance, or registration required

Must follow all laws applicable to bicycles

Helmet use is required for those under age 17

May be pedal assist or throttle powered