Jump to content
MGHunter66

Who is guilty of....

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I am not advocating not being strapped to the tree. In fact I think that would be nuts. I asked what is your plan if you had a failure and were dangling below your stand, unable to get back in or unable to use it to get down. You don’t have this problem while using climbing sticks since they are there for you from your stand down to the ground. It’s a different story with a climber. There is nothing to help you get down and you may only have few minutes to do it before you are in trouble. 

So I didn’t miss your point at all, and I explained that it’s almost impossible to be stranded hanging from your harness when using a quality climber with the extra strap system and being tethered to the tree. 
you would need such a major failure that I could make the same comparison to an extreme failure of a set of climbing sticks, and you’d be in the same position. 
It would take extreme failures with both systems to allow that to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

95% of my hunts are from climbers

Attach my strap with prussic knot.  around tree at ground level , then attach treestand wingman to caribiner and move up the tree ahead of me.

Always attached and will float slowly to the ground in the event of accident.

Prior to my first grandchild, I used no safety straps or ropes of any kindj

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above being said, let’s not take the focus off the OPs question and turn this into a “my stand is better then your stand” discussion.

if you’re not attached to your tree from the ground up, you have no one to blame but yourself when your staring at your family from a hospital bed and they’re crying over you hoping you will recover and be dad/husband/son again...!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gobblergetter said:

95% of my hunts are from climbers

Attach my strap with prussic knot.  around tree at ground level , then attach treestand wingman to caribiner and move up the tree ahead of me.

Always attached and will float slowly to the ground in the event of accident.

Prior to my first grandchild, I used no safety straps or ropes of any kindj

Have you used the Wingman a lot? Any pointers or suggestions on using it?

I have one but haven’t used it yet, but I believe i will now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pathman said:

So I didn’t miss your point at all, and I explained that it’s almost impossible to be stranded hanging from your harness when using a quality climber with the extra strap system and being tethered to the tree. 
you would need such a major failure that I could make the same comparison to an extreme failure of a set of climbing sticks, and you’d be in the same position. 
It would take extreme failures with both systems to allow that to happen. 

So you don’t have a plan because when you look at your climber you can not find any part that could break/fail and make the stand useless for getting down. Ok, just don’t teach this to others 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ryanm said:

Don’t use a harness. Use ladder stands. I make my stepson wear a harness though. More likely gonna fall setting up the stand by yourself then once it’s all set up. I also don’t take naps in the stand either.

I could be wrong but isn’t it the law you need to wear a harness?

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Have you used the Wingman a lot? Any pointers or suggestions on using it?

I have one but haven’t used it yet, but I believe i will now. 

I would be interested in hearing a bit about it from someone who uses it also. I guess I have always felt so safe in my summit climber that i ignored the possibility of a real failure that would create a free fall situation. Will be strapped in from here on out

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never used to attach my line to the tree until I got settled in. 

Then one day, I rode a summit viper 20 ft to the ground, I still dont know how I walked away. 

The tree was slick and frozen. 

I was lucky I only cut my fingers up. 

Now I never hunt without a harness. When using a climber which I rarely do anymore, I make sure I am attached before I start climbing. 

It dont even matter if its a ladder stand, I still wear the harness. It only takes a fall of a couple feet to get seriously injured or death.

If you are not wearing one, you better start. A serious fall not only affects you but your whole family and their lives can be turned upside down. 

Also a word of advice to the viper fans, I was never really impressed with the vipers grip on a tree. Do not stand too close to the tree or you run the risk of what happened to me. That stand dropped like a rock. 

I never had a stand slip like that before. 

I also have a few Lone Wolfs. 

not as comfortable as the vipers but their bands have a much finer adjustment and really grab the tree20141118_144139_zps1qaoqmkc.jpg

Edited by tcook8296
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to always just tie myself in once I reached the top didn’t matter what stand I was in even my climber. 

Two seasons ago I was about 20 feet up in my climber when the bottom fell out from under me. Stupid mistake #1 I didn’t have the two parts tied together and stupid mistake #2 I wasn’t strapped onto the tree at all. I was sitting facing the tree on the bar of the stand pulling the platform up. It didn’t catch onto the tree and my boots came out of the straps. I was dangling there..hunting by myself..with my phone in my pack...I had to monkey my way onto the tree and shimmy down or I would have fallen. Scared the sh*t out of me. Now I always strap myself on at the base of the tree while using my climber. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gobblergetter said:

95% of my hunts are from climbers

Attach my strap with prussic knot.  around tree at ground level , then attach treestand wingman to caribiner and move up the tree ahead of me.

Always attached and will float slowly to the ground in the event of accident.

Prior to my first grandchild, I used no safety straps or ropes of any kindj

I use  primal tree stand descender which does the same thing, slowly lowers you to the ground. This is the key of safety when using a climber because getting down is a real problem. With climbing sticks you can use them to get down. With a climber you have nothing. Climbing with safety line, moving it up as you climb could also help with descending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

I could be wrong but isn’t it the law you need to wear a harness?

I don’t think so., only the law of common sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

I used to always just tie myself in once I reached the top didn’t matter what stand I was in even my climber. 

Two seasons ago I was about 20 feet up in my climber when the bottom fell out from under me. Stupid mistake #1 I didn’t have the two parts tied together and stupid mistake #2 I wasn’t strapped onto the tree at all. I was sitting facing the tree on the bar of the stand pulling the platform up. It didn’t catch onto the tree and my boots came out of the straps. I was dangling there..hunting by myself..with my phone in my pack...I had to monkey my way onto the tree and shimmy down or I would have fallen. Scared the sh*t out of me. Now I always strap myself on at the base of the tree while using my climber. 

Wow, that is something you’ll never forget... or want to re-live

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No lock-ons or climbers, if I get in a stand it will either be a ladder stand with rails or an elevated box blind (with steps). But most of the time now I stay on the ground. I'm not a hard-core deer hunter these days, maybe hunt 7 days total in a season (but always get meat for the freezer).

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I've only used a harness a couple times, always at someone else's insistence. I have a bigger fear of dangling upside down screaming like a little girl for help than I do taking a spill from 15 feet. I know the new harnesses & lifelines have changed the game, but I'm not worrying much since I rarely get up in a tree anymore. Back when I was younger & dumber we used to hammer big nails into a tree for steps and sit in the crotch of a big tree, sometimes we'd tie ourselves in with a rope. Some of the rickety plywood stands & bucket seat contraptions we used years ago were death traps also. I guess I've been pretty lucky up until now, I never fell.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Anyone ever see that band system harness strap that self contracts around the tree?  Forget the name...was guna buy it a few yrs ago...I think it went for $75

Here it is.....

Q-Safe by Blindsided huntin company...

https://www.blindedhunting.com/qsafe

Screenshot_20191114-214038_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Bonefreak
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stan Putz said:

No lock-ons or climbers, if I get in a stand it will either be a ladder stand with rails or an elevated box blind (with steps). But most of the time now I stay on the ground. I'm not a hard-core deer hunter these days, maybe hunt 7 days total in a season (but always get meat for the freezer).

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I've only used a harness a couple times, always at someone else's insistence. I have a bigger fear of dangling upside down screaming like a little girl for help than I do taking a spill from 15 feet. I know the new harnesses & lifelines have changed the game, but I'm not worrying much since I rarely get up in a tree anymore. Back when I was younger & dumber we used to hammer big nails into a tree for steps and sit in the crotch of a big tree, sometimes we'd tie ourselves in with a rope. Some of the rickety plywood stands & bucket seat contraptions we used years ago were death traps also. I guess I've been pretty lucky up until now, I never fell.

My friend and I built alot of wooden stands in our younger days and i remember climbing up in them when they were icy. My stand had a plywood floor and one opening day of 6 day, i climbed up in and almost slipped out. Thank goodness of the railings that we put in. After that, I told my friend that enough is enough and we bought ladder stands after that. We walk passed our old stands and wonder why we did what we did. Pretty scary. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...