MGHunter66

Who is guilty of....

Anyone ever see that band system harness strap that self contracts around the tree?  Forget the name...was guna buy it a few yrs ago...I think it went for $75

26 minutes ago, Pathman said:

This is a great topic, probably would have been great to do preseason, but it’s never too late. 
It’s great to see the honesty, so i didn’t want to appear to be beating anyone up here, but as a hunter Ed instructor and long time hunter, I’m really shocked at some of the responses, especially from the more experienced guys. 
I may be misunderstanding a couple of you in regards to attaching your harness tether to the climber, am i understanding that correctly? If so, I don’t get the safety aspect of that configuration.  I can see if the bottom section goes down you won’t go with it, maybe!, cause if you have the climber section up in climbing mode, and the bottom goes at that instant, you’re going down as well! I also use the Third Hand straps, so you’re not likely to lose the bottom section, but I guess I don’t see why you wouldn’t simply use your rope with the Prussic knot around the tree and be 100% safe. 

So in the interest of honesty, my break down is as follows;

climber Summit Viper with third hand straps, and use rope teacher around tree as soon as I get into the stand and the entire way up. I do go up to 30’, so the security of being attached is priceless!

loc Ons I always set up a lifeline, always!

ladders, I have a few that are only 15’ tall and have a shooting rail, I don’t attach until I’m at height. My reasoning is two fold, first, when was the last time you climbed a ladder and just fell the hell off while climbing? Not likely, but possible I admit. Second, with the shooting rail, as I climb up into the stand, I’m protected from falling backwards by the shooting rail, so that’s how I justify not using a lifeline in my ladders. 
I have used 25’ ladders that weren’t mine, but I made sure there was a lifeline on them before i used it. 
sorry for the long winded response, but this subject can not be stressed enough as you know. 
so i would urge you all, especially you “it can’t happen to me” experienced guys, to invest a few dollars and ensure your continued good health and many more years of enjoying the sport you love so much, not to mention your families peace of mind. 

I'm an exception. Italiano.Grew up in tree's, pick a the cherrys.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Oh boy... I use my old tree climbing harness and don't strap in until I'm about to sit, before hauling my bow up. My stand is about 18 feet up, another is higher than that.

May look into a retractable next year.

38 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Climber is very problematic because if something happens, even if you are tied to the tree, how do you get down? Let’s say the bottom platform drops on you then what? Many other things can happen preventing you from using the stand to descent. What is your plan if it happens. (Of course you don’t have this problem if you are not strapped to the tree. Gravity  will do the job :shock:)

That’s the reason for the Third Hand straps that secure the platform to the climber section with two webbing straps. You would need a catastrophic failure Of the entire system to allow the bottom section to fall when using this system. 
The last thing you want is gravity to get you down to the ground, I’d rather be hanging by my harness in the tree as opposed to still being attached to my stand after it hits the ground! 

Not that hanging by your harness doesn’t pose its own issues, but if you have the proper setup, which consists of a pressure relief strap, you should be OK till help arrives. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pathman said:

That’s the reason for the Third Hand straps that secure the platform to the climber section with two webbing straps. You would need a catastrophic failure Of the entire system to allow the bottom section to fall when using this system. 
The last thing you want is gravity to get you down to the ground, I’d rather be hanging by my harness in the tree as opposed to still being attached to my stand after it hits the ground! 

Not that hanging by your harness doesn’t pose its own issues, but if you have the proper setup, which consists of a pressure relief strap, you should be OK till help arrives. 

I think you completely missed the point of my post

4 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I think you completely missed the point of my post

I guess i did, please clarify. 

When I use sticks, I have a line around the tree attached to waist caribeners, before I get on the platform, I clip back caribener to 5/8 climbing rope attached to tree. When using the climber I go from my front o ring to the tree when i get to desired height I clip on back strap.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I use sticks, I have a line around the tree attached to waist caribeners, before I get on the platform, I clip back caribener to 5/8 climbing rope attached to tree. When using the climber I go from my front o ring to the tree when i get to desired height I clip on back strap.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Maybe someone should invent a portable fall recovery ground mattress .

G

Edited by Lunatic

16 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I guess i did, please clarify. 

I am not advocating not being strapped to the tree. In fact I think that would be nuts. I asked what is your plan if you had a failure and were dangling below your stand, unable to get back in or unable to use it to get down. You don’t have this problem while using climbing sticks since they are there for you from your stand down to the ground. It’s a different story with a climber. There is nothing to help you get down and you may only have few minutes to do it before you are in trouble. 

I never even used a climber but, I hunt out of a few ladder stands without a harness. I'm slowly switching over to ground blinds. I find it a challenge to hunt out of but, eventually, I will hunt out of them 100 percent and give up the ladder stands. I find that I hunt by myself more frequently and I rather hunt from the ground. 

Edited by Tarhunt
  • Like 1

Strap in at the top with a climber and loc on. Ladders I don't strap myself in. A lot of times while strapped in my harness gets in the way of drawing so I'll usually unstrap for the draw and shot. Also extremely guilty for usually not wearing a harness when hanging sticks and stands during a hang and hunt. 

Pre set Hang on stands. I have a strap pre set around the base of the stand that I clip onto once I reach that point. Most falls happen when climbing in and out of the stand so I attach prior to making the last 2 steps up and onto the stand. Sure being connected from the ground up would be safer but I climb ladders at work every day and tie In when I get to the top of them. Only time I'm ever secured from the moment I leave the ground at work is when I'm in my bucket.

Mobile stick and hang on set up. I throw my teather around the tree while standing on the last step before climbing into stand and then readjust it once in 

Don't use ladder stands but if I did I would put a tether on once seated.

I rarely use a climber but when I do I usually add a tether about half way up the tree then keep sliding it up as I go and take it back off when I get fairly close to the ground