IGNORED

Saw sharpening in Hunterdon County?

Swamp_Yankee

Just now, hunterbob1 said:

Where's Rusty?lol Wow  I didn't know it was so involved.

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

Yes-not something I want to attempt to DIY!

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

1 hour ago, mattg1500 said:

Call Frank Rymon on rt31 and see if Kevin is still in the shop

Ah yes!Also stop in at grochowicz farm,ring the ring Bell at the house.Bring the kid's for real homemade ice cream too.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the suggestions.  I pass Rymon's every day on my way to work and Grochowicz is right in my backyard.  We stop there often for ice cream in the summertime.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 5:32 PM, ratherbhunting said:

there is a guy on Kosciuszko Road in Whitehouse Station that does saw sharpening. I have never been to him but I see his sign when I drive by. 

Update-I tried Rymon's and Washington One Stop and both told me they couldn't do it.  Neither had the know-how nor the tools to sharpen a saw that old.  By way of our local pizza shop (Rosata's in Hampton) I mentioned in passing that I was trying to get a saw sharpened but couldn't find anyone to do it.  Dominic, the owner, said "I got a guy who can do it!"  He sent me down to the guy on Kosciuszko Road-Tom is his name.  He looks to be in his eighties and grew up on a farm in Piscataway before it was taken to build I-287.  He then became a tool and die maker.  Now he has a shop full of equipment and sharpens just about anything.  Great guy with great stories-he hadn't seen a saw like mine in years and seemed to really enjoy working on it.  Yesterday we took it out to Cherryville Farms in Pittstown to get our Christmas Tree as we have for the last 11 years and it worked great.  Tom told me that if I only take it off the wall once a year to cut a Christmas Tree down I'll probably never need to sharpen it again for many years.  He also told me that the saw's actual purpose was to limb trees after they had been felled which I didn't know.  

802773116_20191208_063448(002).thumb.jpg.c5e30e577e4d86547f0d063cbff02562.jpg

22 minutes ago, ratherbhunting said:

That's nice to know.  I drive by him all the time, I will have to stop by and bring him some stuff to sharpen. Did you have to call first or did you just stop by?

It looks like people just drop stuff off and leave a phone number.  When you pull up to his house he has signs instructing people on what to do.  I think he said he charges $15 for a saw chain, which is not a bad price, IMO-I am going to be bringing him a few.