IGNORED

All these great bucks????

Booner

58 minutes ago, 10deer said:

lots of them big bucks are shot at night then  have a   BS story behind it just ask any game warden half legal half not

This statement is so wrong it makes me cringe. While some bucks are illegally killed either at night, out of season, or with an unauthorized weapon for the season, the number “poached” is very low. Generalizations like these makes us all look bad.  Hunters that put in the hard work or are bless by good fortune should be congratulated, not ridiculed. Poachers should be put up on billboards for the world to see.  

-any “game warden”

4 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I will also add this and I do not think it is coincidence. 4 out of my 5 top NJ bucks were taken in the afternoon. 

I remember reading somewhere that like 70% of all record book deer were shot in the afternoon. Probably not that exact percentage but it was a high number. Trying to see if I can find that article again...

Edited by Ringtail

5 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

In some cases in years when there are no mature bucks around, you may need to hold that tag all season instead of settling for a small buck. Being able to get past the I have to kill a buck mentality is what it takes. 

100%   

Two years ago we were on to a nice buck, for our daughter it was "this buck or nothing".  She let every deer pass until she got a shot at the one she wanted.  

Skull mount.jpeg

Edited by Rusty

1 minute ago, MGHunter66 said:

Well I am in the blind, passed two 110” deer so far. Btw i like ouster crackers in my soup. But lets give it a try... friggin lockdown :banghead:  damn spikes :grrr: wrong week for my rutcation :P

You sound like Mr. Harris. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

There is no doubt that if you want to kill a "big one" you must let smaller ones go. Not because there will be more bucks around to grow to a ripe old age, but because you "tag" out. Any buck you pass up will not likely make it till next year unless you control large tracts of land. In NJ, cars, lack of land, and high hunter numbers all make the odds of a deer living beyond 3.5 years very unlikely. So it's a personal decision what you want. Another person's desire to kill a 150 class deer has no bearing on your desires. 

Besides, you probably know as much as everybody else anyway. 

Edited by archer36

6 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I will also add this and I do not think it is coincidence. 4 out of my 5 top NJ bucks were taken in the afternoon. 

On my wall as follows

My biggest 193 taken at 830 am 3rd week of Nov

163 taken 1145 am 3rd week of Nov

162 taken 3rd week of Nov 730 am

151 taken 3rd week of Nov 730 am

150 taken 2nd week of Nov 145 pm

149 taken Jan 4pm

146 taken Dec 4pm

142 1st week Nov 2pm

I have 40 to 50 other bucks on the wall   100 to 130 class with most being taken in the pm. 

www.liftxrentals.com

11 minutes ago, archer36 said:

There is no doubt that if you want to kill a "big one" you must let smaller ones go. Not because there will be more bucks around to grow to a ripe old age, but because you "tag" out. Any buck you pass up will not likely make it till next year unless you control large tracts of land. In NJ, cars, lack of land, and high hunter numbers all make the odds of a deer living beyond 3.5 years very unlikely. So it's a personal decision what you want. Another person's desire to kill a 150 class deer has no bearing on your desires. 

Of course its a personal decision so there are no wrong decision. The reasons however could be wrong. Not all deer you let walk get killed, and, when you let it walk he still has a chance. When you kill it his chances are over.

22 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

On my wall as follows

My biggest 193 taken at 830 am 3rd week of Nov

163 taken 1145 am 3rd week of Nov

162 taken 3rd week of Nov 730 am

151 taken 3rd week of Nov 730 am

150 taken 2nd week of Nov 145 pm

149 taken Jan 4pm

146 taken Dec 4pm

142 1st week Nov 2pm

I have 40 to 50 other bucks on the wall   100 to 130 class with most being taken in the pm. 

Very impressive TC. Would you say it’s more a factor of the times you hunt( do you mainly Hunt pm?) or a factor of timing of deer activity? 

27 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Very impressive TC. Would you say it’s more a factor of the times you hunt( do you mainly Hunt pm?) or a factor of timing of deer activity? 

I mainly hunt all pm with the exception of November. 

Im sure I could kill more bucks in the morning if I hunted the mornings. 

However, I found I educate way more deer by hunting am vs pm thus giving me better results in the pm being able to get into stands while deer are still bedded vs walking right through them in the mornings blowing them out. 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Great info so far... I haven’t heard any one mention using “xyz” attractant, etc  Do you guys not use these types of things? Do you mainly hunt scrape lines, food sources, or just general deer runs?

Personally I’ve never had luck with Deer attractant and have seen deer smell it (buck bomb in particular) and run off

Edited by Herd Buck

11 minutes ago, Herd Buck said:

Great info so far... I haven’t heard any one mention using “xyz” attractant, etc  Do you guys not use these types of things? Do you mainly hunt scrape lines, food sources, or just general deer runs?

Personally I’ve never had luck with Deer attractant and have seen deer smell it (buck bomb in particular) and run off

Snake oil. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….