Rutting Buck

Going out tomorrow for pheasant

To all I have a question for you and would appreciate your advice.  Tomorrow will be opening day for pheasant since I was in Boston with my wife and friends for the weekend of the true opener.  I normally feed my dog around 6:30am every morning but will have to leave earlier than that, so I plan on feeding her before we go.  My question is should I feed her the same  amount as normal or bump it up a bit since she will be much more active than normal or do I feed her as normal in the morning and increase her food in the evening?  She is currently thin and is shape, she is a chocolate lab, but when I had her trained the trainer said once we start hunting he food consumption should increase because she will be burning a lot of calories.

Thanks,

Rutting Buck

Feed her the same as always. No need to give her more before you go. Would probably have an adverse effect. 

Edited by MGHunter66

I honestly don't feed prior to hunting. Im always afraid that a heavy full stomach prior to running can cause Colic

She gets her normal amount at night then she gets a small handful as a midnight snack as she has a sensitive stomach and always needs to have a little something in there. Then I either bring food with me or just feed her when we get home. Were usually back home by 9-9:30 anyways

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't feed in the am, but give her a little more than normal when we get home, then dinner at normal time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have read several articles from dog experts and vets that said you should not feed a hunting dog for 4 hours before a hunting session. I don't recall the exact condition it causes but something  like a twisted stomach or intestines that can be fatal. I can't pinpoint where the articles are now. However, if you google the question you should see several articles on this topic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

NO, NO, NO, do NOT give extra food before your hunt, if anything give less or No food and don't overfeed him after the hunt, gradually increase the calorie count over the course of a few days!

• Winner 1

20 minutes ago, FLDBRED-BDC said:

NO, NO, NO, do NOT give extra food before your hunt, if anything give less or No food and don't overfeed him after the hunt, gradually increase the calorie count over the course of a few days!

Exactly !

• Like 1

Get your dogs accustomed to eating at your dinnertime then you can give it good meal the night before the morning hunt.

Edited by RPK0620
  • Like 1

I do not feed the morning of a hunt, but feed her a minimal amount of high protien dog food for lunch or at the end of the hunt.  Make sure your pup is well hydrated. That is more important than food. 

• Winner 1