IGNORED

bird dog owners, i need help/advice

Kype

real quick a short history of my brittany, capone. he is one years old now but back in Jan of this year he was 6 months old and i took him to the hunts family preserve to get him on birds. they released 4 birds and he found and pointed 2 birds. one hen, one rooster. over the past spring, summer, and fall i kept training him with wings. hiding them around the the yard and using old fishing poles with the wings tied to them to keep him pointing. he did great. he always found every wing and pointed every wing tied to the fishing pole. i never allowed him to get the wing tied to the fishing pole because i wanted him to keep pointing them

fast forward to late fall. my wife and i bought our first home. we were living in an apt. and all of capones training was done in the backyard at the the apt. we now have a bigger yard with a small patch of  woods and the musky behind us. since we moved, i have done no training what so ever because, well, we bought a house and everyone knows how that goes. we have been very busy over the last couple months. 

Now, this past saturday was the opener for pheasant. i made it a point to take capone to clinton for birds no matter what. and i did. 

i dont know what happen between last jan and now but capone doesnt even hunt. all he did was stand by me. multiple times i picked him up to put him in the brush to hunt and all he did was run back to me and look at me?  last jan he was hunting like crazy and getting birdy. he had a lot of interest in finding the birds. i dont know what happen but this past sat all he wanted to do was stay by my side. 

so today, i went out and bought 3 quail. i put all three quail to sleep and hid them in the woods behind my house, i brought capone to the edge of the woods and said "wheres the birds" i let the leash go and BOOM, hes pointing a bird. i flushed that bird. i said again "wheres the bird" BOOM he found the other bird. i flushed that bird. and then the third bird ran away.

so whats the deal? why didnt he want to hunt at clinton yesterday but was doing just find in the woods behind my house?

34 minutes ago, Nomad said:

When I take my dog to Clinton it runs away a hides under the truck upon hearing the first shot.  

capone is not scared of shotguns. in fact it gets him excited.  he just wouldnt hunt, but when a shot did go off he got interested. its weird. 

3 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

He could have been overwhelmed with all of the sights,  smells and sounds that were going on.  Training in your living room and on your own property is a lot different than training in public 

If you were doing one on one training in quiet environment with no distractions then went to a WMA on opening day what rug said could have just been too much if he has not been used to all the noise and commotion and scents.

Take him out in the afternoon and find  an area where you can be alone and work from there.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

You need to buy quail or chukar and take him out on a non releasing day gear up as if it’s a regular hunt hide the birds while he’s still in the truck and after 20 minutes and the sent had settled turn him loose and hunt the birds. Let him roam don’t keep him to close to you but maintain control don’t let him run 2 zip codes away.

you may need to encourage him to come to the area a bird was put and work the wind after he finds it and you shoot it make a big deal and let him know how proud you are.

I have a 1 year old Gsp that was having trouble with holding points, After some training over the summer and not shooting bumped or chased birds she’s doing better now.

I like pheasants but for a young pup you get better work with quail more points more shots and if you don’t shoot bumped birds it’s not a big deal. I don’t know how close you are to greenwood but it might be better to do quail this year.

What is capone’s natural personality?  Is he usually a bold, independent pup?  I wouldn’t worry too much.  Take him out again and see what happens.  If he does the same thing, encourage him to hunt and walk like nothing is wrong.  Hopefully he warms up and catches a scent that distracts him and he’s back to normal.  Good luck this season!!

You hit on the spot Bones Clinton I'm sure is thicker and nastier than your backyard.  Stick some birds into donde nice thick stuff.  Get him on the first bird and in the vicinity of it,  after the 1st hunt a field where you didn't put a bird in for a bit,  then go to another bird casually while hunting the whole time.  Not to mention they're are plenty of left over birds, I believe it gets stocked this Tuesday so maybe go in the evening or Wednesday morning.  He will be fine.

Edited by Costam07

50 minutes ago, Bones said:

You need to buy quail or chukar and take him out on a non releasing day gear up as if it’s a regular hunt hide the birds while he’s still in the truck and after 20 minutes and the sent had settled turn him loose and hunt the birds. Let him roam don’t keep him to close to you but maintain control don’t let him run 2 zip codes away.

you may need to encourage him to come to the area a bird was put and work the wind after he finds it and you shoot it make a big deal and let him know how proud you are.

I have a 1 year old Gsp that was having trouble with holding points, After some training over the summer and not shooting bumped or chased birds she’s doing better now.

I like pheasants but for a young pup you get better work with quail more points more shots and if you don’t shoot bumped birds it’s not a big deal. I don’t know how close you are to greenwood but it might be better to do quail this year.

You hit on the spot Bones Clinton I'm sure is thicker and nastier than your backyard.  Stick some birds into donde nice thick stuff.  Get him on the first bird and in the vicinity of it,  after the 1st hunt a field where you didn't put a bird in for a bit,  then go to another bird casually while hunting the whole time.  Not to mention they're are plenty of left over birds, I believe it gets stocked this Tuesday so maybe go in the evening or Wednesday morning.  He will be fine.