Jerseybassnbow

Using smoke for scent control

Seems like it's a good old fashion ozonics. Has anyone used it? Deer do not seem to spook. Seems to work really well from what I have read.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve done it in the past. No negative reactions. Basically use a beekeepers smoker. And puff the smoke into and onto all your gear. Smoke kills the bacteria. No bacteria typically means no scent. 

I’ve done it in the past. No negative reactions. Basically use a beekeepers smoker. And puff the smoke into and onto all your gear. Smoke kills the bacteria. No bacteria typically means no scent. 
What kind of wood did you use? Cedar, pine, does it matter?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Your going after the smoke effect to kill bacteria. I can’t see it making a difference. I know the companies that market the beehive smoker to hunters typically offer hickory wood chips 

17 minutes ago, Merkel said:

This might sound stupid but wouldn’t deer equate smoke with fire and leave?

actually if you hunt in an area that has a lot of fireplaces / wood stoves  deer are use to the smell they don't think twice about it. never did that myself but have talked to a few who would let hunting clothes get all smoked up lol.i know I hunt near the state campsites and also behind a field of a guy who burns wood and sometimes during the right wind the smoke smell is strong at points the woods looks full of smoke but that never seems to bother the deer....

They used to hawk  deer scent burning punks that were supposed to be effective. Think they had a bucket you could concentrate the smoke from.  Deer Scents and Tink's Smoke Bombs.used deer scents??????, but I think you'd be better off burning leaves for cover. Don't burn the woods down...

Edited by _X7
  • Haha 1

Company was called deerscense (I think spelled that way). They had a pink you’d light and then blow out and it would burn slowly sizzle down 12” or so. They sold a black collapsible “cover” that you put over it to contain and release the smoke and prevent the wind from blowing it out. 

A company that sold the smoker for clothes  is called scent smoker. It’s the same as a beehive smoker. They just put a name on it and market it as though it’s some kind of ground breaking innovation. On amazon the beehive smokers are like $20 or so I believe.  It has a bellow that your slowly work to keep air flowing into the chamber enough to cause the wood chips to smolder and produce smoke. 

• Like 1

South winds ruin my stands entirely on my PA spot .

found when we crank up the wood stove the smoke settles in that hollow .

deer are downwind of me all night there and don’t ever wind me.

all they smell is the smoke.

smoke is a very strong scent ,

deer smell it all the time up here .

or guys that don’t think one scent out powers another

spray air freshener around a good hunting dog .

they won’t smell anything, sometimes takes hours for them to shake that scent .

our  dog here goes crazy when anything is in the yard . And would keep us up half the night barking in the house at doors and window .

one spray of air freshener in the air and she sleeps all night .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, buckhound said:

actually if you hunt in an area that has a lot of fireplaces / wood stoves  deer are use to the smell they don't think twice about it. never did that myself but have talked to a few who would let hunting clothes get all smoked up lol.i know I hunt near the state campsites and also behind a field of a guy who burns wood and sometimes during the right wind the smoke smell is strong at points the woods looks full of smoke but that never seems to bother the deer....

Thanks, Makes sense if houses are nearby.

7 hours ago, Lunatic said:

If you burn your clothes all scent disap:happywave:pears 

Lunatic is 100% correct, it's not rocket surgery !