IGNORED

School me on turkey frying...

Swamp_Yankee

We are hosting Thanksgiving for the first time this year.  I've always wanted to try a fried turkey and Mrs. Yankee needs room in the oven for everything else, plus what better way to spend Thanksgiving morning than sitting outside drinking beer with the fryer and the firepit going?  What is the best equipment to buy, what type of oil, how long, etc...?

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Peanut oil is best .

2 most important  things are .

Put Turkey in pot and fill to correct level with water .

Take Turkey put and mark amount of water that was needed to not over fill the amount of oil.

If use too much oil it will catch on fire.

Level of water showes you max oil needed.

Second is make sure Turkey is as dry as possible when putting into the  hot oil.

Don't drop it in quickly when it starts to crackle.

Many guys do and the oil blows all over the place.

Seen a few guys get burned bad when they rushed dropping bird in oil

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Peanut oil

Water method to get oil level right

360 degree oil

3mins per pound, plus 5 minutes

Make sure the bird is completely thawed and completely dry

165 internal temp at thigh and breast

Do it in your driveway or yard.  Not on concrete (because it will stain) or not on the deck in case of fire.   We listen to the dispatch calls every holiday of guys deep frying birds in their decks and catching shit on fire

Hey Swamp, ballsy move to experiment on Tday..... Can you do a trial run? I use a smoker. My buddy uses a fryer. He's done a bunch and I like fried turkey. As others have Posted, do your diligence with the water and lowering. My buddy has it to a science. Also, prepare for rain just in case, he jury rigs a lean to tarp with 3 sides and a roof. He doesn't have a garage. If you mess up grilled venison can be passed off as European Turkey... So I hear. Good luck

Thanks all for the pointers and the video-seems like there's a lot less to it than I had originally thought.  As far as the safety aspect of it I'm pretty well versed.  Any equipment suggestions?  I should add that this is also an excuse to buy a propane fryer so that I can fry all sorts of other stuff :laughing:  Looking at these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ/ref=sr_1_21?keywords=turkey+fryer&qid=1573263094&sr=8-21

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-3025-30-Quart-Accessories/dp/B00062VZMY/ref=pd_cp_86_1/134-6234917-8171968?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00062VZMY&pd_rd_r=474bff9b-296e-4cf1-bd64-d392fcf70d64&pd_rd_w=WhraM&pd_rd_wg=kgxJy&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=YMQ4E036PVGSN120H8KG&psc=1&refRID=YMQ4E036PVGSN120H8KG

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive