IGNORED

oil burning furance question.

Kype

my new(old) house has oil heat. the furance heats our hot water baseboards and our hot water for the showers etc... 

i hear the furance kick on in the middle of the night(multiple times) when the heat is NOT on and no one is using any hot water. 

so why is the furance wasting oil to kick on even though there is no demand for hot water? 

hope this isnt a stupid question, but i have never had oil heat. 

Edited by Kype

While I was posting this the 2 above me came on "I might guess in order to maintain a minimum hot water temp ?" so I guessed good !:happywave:

Edited by RPK0620

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

If you want to save alittle look into having a hot water storage tank installed. Its basically a hot water heater except your boiler will fill it with hot water . When you use hot water in the house it comes out of that tank and when it needs more it has a thermostat that calls for more hot water and just like your baseboard heat a zone valve is used. So your boiler will only turn on when that storage tank calls for heat just like your house baseboard. Cut down on how often my boiler turns on by alot , and I don't use much oil all summer.

51 minutes ago, Psehunter said:

If you want to save alittle look into having a hot water storage tank installed. Its basically a hot water heater except your boiler will fill it with hot water . When you use hot water in the house it comes out of that tank and when it needs more it has a thermostat that calls for more hot water and just like your baseboard heat a zone valve is used. So your boiler will only turn on when that storage tank calls for heat just like your house baseboard. Cut down on how often my boiler turns on by alot , and I don't use much oil all summer.

thanks ill look into that. 

I have a boiler too and it used to kill me hearing it come on just to maintain the hot water inside. I installed a Electric hot water heater for the sinks, showers and washing machine. Left just he house heat pipes to the boiler. Now in the late spring through early fall I shut the power off to the boiler for there is no reason to have it run all summer for no reason. Every thing has been good for the past 5 years or so that I have it that way.

Edited by Buck154

1 hour ago, Buck154 said:

I have a boiler too and it used to kill me hearing it come on just to maintain the hot water inside. I installed a Electric hot water heater for the sinks, showers and washing machine. Left just he house heat pipes to the boiler. Now in the late spring through early fall I shut the power off to the boiler for there is no reason to have it run all summer for no reason. Every thing has been good for the past 5 years or so that I have it that way.

That's exactly what I did at my old house . Thinking of doing the same with this house.