Bonefreak

Ely's butcher comparable to who?

I like the Applewood but i never knew you could make venison bacon. about 50 years of hunting and never heard of it .

I shot a few hogs in florida and tried to get bacon made and the butcher said wild hogs were not fat enough to make bacon. 

my place smoked meats. Point Pleasant PA. 20 min north of ELY'S. Basically the same menu. Glen Hauser is the Proprietor. He doesn't have a web page.Phone (215)297-8048. Meat needs to be quartered(not de-boned). He has a area to hang and quarter, all remains need to be taken away. I've been going there since 2005. Cheese hot dogs, porkroll, jerky,bologna, slim jim, ,sausage just to name some products. Great place.

• Like 1

A&M was busted probably 5 years ago, they take a loss on the deer people drop off and don’t pick up so they use to make those deer into jerky and sell it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slayer1962 said:

I like the Applewood but i never knew you could make venison bacon. about 50 years of hunting and never heard of it .

I shot a few hogs in florida and tried to get bacon made and the butcher said wild hogs were not fat enough to make bacon. 

It’s a reconstructed bacon, I.e. chop meat put back together.  Tried Ely’s for the first time 3 years ago, maple bacon included.. Mind blown!!!  I take a deer there every year now.  I know most shy away from it, but I love the bone in cuts they make, especially the roasts.  

Chris and crew at Big Dog’s have been my local go-to for years now.  His specialty products are spot on as well. 

Edited by Zone50BugNerd
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 11/5/2019 at 5:53 PM, Bones said:

A&M was busted probably 5 years ago, they take a loss on the deer people drop off and don’t pick up so they use to make those deer into jerky and sell

On 11/5/2019 at 5:53 PM, Bones said:

A&M was busted probably 5 years ago, they take a loss on the deer people drop off and don’t pick up so they use to make those deer into jerky and sell it.

they short ppl’s deer and then would sell it...  enough ppl have complained about getting next to nothing back from their deer.

4 minutes ago, Slayer1962 said:

I wonder if they would have been busted if they sold the meat for the processing fee only?

Not allowed to sell any part of deer in nj 

On 11/5/2019 at 10:34 AM, Bonefreak said:

Since PA Game Commission nixed them from processing from these 3 states.....who else makes quality stuff like honey bologna, pepperoni, pork roll, etc??

And....didnt the Divison enact some regs last yr bout CWD and butchers??

Screenshot_20191105-102544.png

Screenshot_20191105-102510.png

Hunterdon deer butcher in pittstown makes some really delicious specialty items like hot sticks and hot dogs. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 4:52 PM, RICK420 said:

my place smoked meats. Point Pleasant PA. 20 min north of ELY'S. Basically the same menu. Glen Hauser is the Proprietor. He doesn't have a web page.Phone (215)297-8048. Meat needs to be quartered(not de-boned). He has a area to hang and quarter, all remains need to be taken away. I've been going there since 2005. Cheese hot dogs, porkroll, jerky,bologna, slim jim, ,sausage just to name some products. Great place.

I really want try My Place with my next few deer....sounds like a good operation.....he is not far from ely's n probably is getting some disgruntled ely's patrons. 

3 hours ago, Slayer1962 said:

Rdfhunter, that is why i said recover their fee for butchering ( not selling the deer) :up:

The state considers that selling deer . Do you really think that a butcher never thought to charge that way ? 

I have always used Elys and will continue to do so. After having Elys do my butchering my wife, who has always hated venison, absolutely loves the stuff we get back from them. I tried 5 or 6 others and she didn’t like it at all. I get her to try some of the seasoned chops from Elys and she’s instantly a big fan. The maple bacon is incredible and I always make a big pot of venison sausage with onions, pepper and sauce for our shop Christmas party and I get mugged bringing it in. Worth every penny to me 

On 11/5/2019 at 6:08 PM, Zone50BugNerd said:

It’s a reconstructed bacon, I.e. chop meat put back together.  Tried Ely’s for the first time 3 years ago, maple bacon included.. Mind blown!!!  I take a deer there every year now.  I know most shy away from it, but I love the bone in cuts they make, especially the roasts.  

Chris and crew at Big Dog’s have been my local go-to for years now.  His specialty products are spot on as well. 

I usually do the same

On 11/5/2019 at 2:29 PM, Rdfhunter said:

South jersey Sausage ( great band name) try Joes on landis ave . Bacon cheddar and the jalapeño cheddar are my favorite but they have a bunch other kinds. Whole deer turned into sausage will run about 150 depending on the amount of cheese, bacon , jalapeño they use 

I took a deer to Joes once and that was enough. What I got back was unfrozen sausage, coiled up in plastic bags, swimming in blood. You have to package it yourself, after you pull it out of a bag full of blood. The taste wasn't bad but you pay about as much as most other places, but other places package it for you. 

Lots of people rave about Serra in Vineland. The flavor isn't bad there either, but he uses a casing that is tough as nails, and I took 12 pounds of trimmed, boned meat there for garlic and cheese and hot Italian, and got back 24 pounds (50/50 mix) and the bill was like $128.00. I thought it was a joke when they told me the cost and laughed a bit, the guy was not amused and repeated it. It was also in a bag full of blood and I needed to package it myself. 

I took a 192 lb buck to Cassady in Monroeville, got the deer cut, caped, and plenty of roasts, chip steak, back straps whole, and 90 lbs of Italian sausage (also a 50/50 mix) for about $225.00. He isn't cheap, but is reasonable for what you get, which is all vacuum sealed and frozen when you pick it up.