IGNORED

Successful Maine Moose Hunt

iluv2hunt

Ok so I finally have a chance to post about a moose hunt I was part of in Maine. A little back story about my friend. She started hunting about 10 years ago and has taken a couple deer with her crossbow and some turkeys with her shot gun. I was telling her about the Maine moose hunting and lottery one day and she decided on a whim to apply. She forgot about applying until she got an email that she was drawn in the lottery for a Zone 1 Cow tag. This was the first year she applied. She immediately called me and asked me to go. Of course, I said yes. I have never been to that part of Maine let alone never hunted Maine. We hunted with Tylor Kelly Camps in Allagash Maine. The Owners Wade and Sue are incredible people and do a fantastic job. Wade has lived his whole life and Guided in Zones 1 and 2 for the past 30 years. The Camp was very clean and comfortable, and the food was great. The guides were great and knew the area very well. We were hunting on 3.5 million acres of lumber company land. There were two other hunters with cow tags besides my friend. All three hunters were tagged out in the first three days. To be honest my friend could have been tagged out in the first hour of the first day if her eye sight was better. We needed to keep her shots 150 yards or less. Some of the shots were 200 to 300 yards. We were driving around on the logging roads and covering a lot of miles. We were hunting big clear cuts and strip cuts. Once we spotted a moose we would try to get into a position for a close shot. There were multiple times a more experienced hunter would have been able to tag out, but my friend wasn’t comfortable taking the shot, so we kept looking for the right moose within her comfort zone. We had 25 Moose sightings in two and half days. Finally, on the third day I spotted and lone cow in a strip cut. It was hard to see from the road and get a clear shot. So, after a few minutes the guide decided they would try to get sneak closer for a shot. The guide Jared was able to get my Friend to within 75 yards for a clear shot. We were all very excited as we watched the moose go down after the shot. The moose die about 600 feet for the road, and it was like a war zone. Branches and logs down everywhere form the logging. The guides are completely prepared for this. They have portable winches called Capstans and they use a half of a canoe to navigate all the logs and brush. It works like a big Jet sled to get the moose out. Since my friend was done hunting on Wednesday, we were able to grouse hunt Thursday. We saw eight grouse and shot five. It was a ton of fun. The amazing thing up there is you can drive for hours on the logging roads and never see the same area. We also got in a little rabbit hunting over beagles with the owners Daughter Abby. The weather was less then ideal, but we still got on two rabbits but couldn’t get shots off on them. Overall it was a great trip with great people, and I hope I can get drawn for zone 1 or 2 in the future so I can hunt there again.      

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Congrats to you and your friend!

I hunt "right next door" in NH in the same kind of conditions:  Forests for miles and logging roads all over.  Hard country to hunt, but it's completely worth it.  Great looking camp, and I'm glad the two of you had a successful and fun time there!  I'm headed to NH Nov. 21.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Congratulations ! That’s some great country up there ! Looks like it was a great place . Amazing she pulled a tag too ! 

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Congrats to you and your friend!

I hunt "right next door" in NH in the same kind of conditions:  Forests for miles and logging roads all over.  Hard country to hunt, but it's completely worth it.  Great looking camp, and I'm glad the two of you had a successful and fun time there!  I'm headed to NH Nov. 21.

haskell where abouts in NH ? I’ll be Leaving for Maine on the 19th / 20th I’ll be hunting in the Rangeley / B pond area right over the boarder from Errol . 

20 minutes ago, Bad64chevelle said:

Congratulations ! That’s some great country up there ! Looks like it was a great place . Amazing she pulled a tag too ! 

haskell where abouts in NH ? I’ll be Leaving for Maine on the 19th / 20th I’ll be hunting in the Rangeley / B pond area right over the boarder from Errol . 

Pittsburg, but up near Second Connecticut Lake.  You'll be about 90-120 minutes away or so.  No direct way to get there, have to drive around a bunch of lakes and mountains.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.