IGNORED

Best Clothing for Cold Weather

OK, one thing I really hate is the cold.  Now that I lost a bunch of weight I really freeze.  What is the best cold weather clothing (Brand) that is silent , warm & not bulky.  Your input is highly appreciated.

-Cuz

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

I find wearing a bunch of base layers helps, regardless of the outer layer. Think about getting a bunch of base layers and wear multiples... multiple pant base layers, multiple shirt base layers, even maybe double up on socks. I find I can keep very warm when I do that. I have the Cabelas base-layers in the different weights (lightweight, mid-weight, heavy-weight). Sometimes on really cold days I'll put on the lightweight base layers over top of the heavy-weight... then put on my outer coat and bibs. If you layer up the base layers, you can probably opt for a less-bulky outer jacket (which might make it more quiet).

I find when I layer up the base layers that my core is always warm. It's the hands and feet that are my problem. My feet are usually the first to go, then my hands. Still haven't found a pair of gloves that I like. And I need to put in handwarmers in my boots to make it through a hunt in sub-freezing temps.

Of course, wearing good headgear is important to keep the heat from escaping through your head. I wear balaclavas exclusively in the cold weather - my head is rarely the cause of my freezing because I cover my neck on up with a balaclava. I have one of these (or, it's something like this if not this exact one) that I like: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-xts-insulated-balaclava-for-men

I have cabelas Polartec. The old style. It’s probably to warm for the New Jersey hunting but it’s very effective. I haven’t tried the new style. I wore it today under thin coveralls and sweat my onions off this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Are you sitting or stalking?

I have one set of gear for stalking and one for sits. Both are good down to 0F, but I can’t sit for long in my stalking gear, and stalking in my sitting gear turns me into a sweat ball. 

Sitting

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers: