Mallard1100

Is it me......

If it were up to me. Antler restriction (3 on a side), 1 buck ALL seasons combined, 5 does per yr = insane hunting.

• Like 1

Just food for thought...1 buck with bow until shotgun opener then 1 buck your choice shotgun, bow or muzzle loader, instead of killing two bucks with great genetics before they have a chance to spread their seed and also gives others a fair opportunity to take a nice buck

20 minutes ago, bucky said:

Just food for thought...1 buck with bow until shotgun opener then 1 buck your choice shotgun, bow or muzzle loader, instead of killing two bucks with great genetics before they have a chance to spread their seed and also gives others a fair opportunity to take a nice buck

I like that idea!

30 minutes ago, bucky said:

Genetics don’t change with age. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Rdfhunter said:

AR restrictions allow too many sub par deer to reproduce, just a simple fact. 

Yup.   And those sub par bucks live a much longer time, passing their genes on year after year.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

can't say for other areas but in 34 and 45 we had bigger bucks without antler point  restrictions before all the changes when you could kill two deer either sex in bow plus permit bow as well as muzzy winter bow and two bucks in six day week . I think the clubs killing all the scrubs helped produce bigger smarter old bucks  and in those days we cold see 10 -30 doe sitting or during drives in each piece of woods allowing for many young bucks each year. however many hunters and clubs got greedy and on doe days would kill everything that moved thirty guys could wipe out 50 -60 does in a couple days and after a few years with the added coyote explosion the populations could not keep bouncing back.thats why I believe less doe kills is better at least in this area.i feel from my almost 40 years hunting the endless killing is the start of  the issues in this area we need to get the doe population back up and then not let that happen again as well as cut back on the buck kills. with one deer either sex per season except six day I am more selective in what I shoot however as some one in the woods almost everyday and is always riding looking day and night I do not see the big racks I once did for many years now the one thing I will say is I do see many more freaky racks than ever does it have to do with letting all the scrubs walk?again this is my opinion from my hunting area.

So, everyone who thought the current system, when it was being implemented would not be conducive to producing some large bucks are wrong?  I think the size of a buck is relative to where you hunt but the genetics are what they are no matter where you hunt.  We can all debate APR, buck limits etc... but let's all remember what hunting is and what it has always been about, and it is not about the score of the buck.  I'm not saying I would not want to kill a very large buck but it is not the sole purpose of me being in the woods. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Rusty said:

Yup.   And those sub par bucks live a much longer time, passing their genes on year after year.   

as I said in another post, that's cant be tcorrect .If it was true the poconos would be overrun with spikes.

Its not , if anything since APR went into effect their are a lot less spikes than there ever was.

Just because a deer is a spike doesn't mean it has bad genetics, and that's what all QDMA wants to say .

• Agree 1

i think spike is more about when the fawn was born...     Just less time to grow.  Hasn't anyone noticed how small most of the 1.5 year old spikes are in body size?  A 3" spike weighs like 80 lbs but a 1.5 year old 6 or 8pt by me weighs 105-115....     

• Like 1

Just curious, since Zone 9 has 3 points to one side antler restrictions. Has  there been any large bucks taken out of that zone? 

Is everyone forgetting that nj is a management state? Point restrictions won’t change whether a guy shoots a good genetic 1.5 year old 6 or 8 pointer. The season being too long, that’s a preference. Not every guy hunts everyday can only go some weekends ect. I like the long season. But I also have a limit of how many deer I take for the year as well. I’ve taken 2 does so far this year. My stepson took his first buck a 4 pointer. I have yet to shoot a buck. First fall bow season I didn’t fill my buck tag not because I couldn’t but by my choice. 

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

i think spike is more about when the fawn was born...     Just less time to grow.  Hasn't anyone noticed how small most of the 1.5 year old spikes are in body size?  A 3" spike weighs like 80 lbs but a 1.5 year old 6 or 8pt by me weighs 105-115....     

I'm going to skew your data...I had a 140#-150# spike pushing does Fri. morning. Heaviest spike I've ever seen. Might have been a freak because antlers where only 2" at most.

4 minutes ago, megavites said:

I'm going to skew your data...I had a 140#-150# spike pushing does Fri. morning. Heaviest spike I've ever seen. Might have been a freak because antlers where only 2" at most.

Then it was probably 2.5 years old..       There are outliers in everything.  I saw at least 6 spikes today varying in wight from 80 to 115 lbs...       Not an absolute but the larger the antlers the more body weight overall.    

Question to Rusty - every year i see that spike with the bone just barely piercing the skin - like 1 to 2" spikes.  Any chance those are early born 1/2 year olds (which would generally be buttons) ?   Body wise they are not much bigger than buttons if at all. 

Edited by JHbowhunter