IGNORED

Marinated and Seared Venison Steaks with Cream Cheese Topping

mazzgolf

I'm lazy and wanted something easy to make, but I like the flavor of this cream cheese "stuffing" that normally goes in my stuffed-and-smoked backstrap recipe. So I combined a couple different recipes for this one. This is really good, and surprisingly very simple to make.

First, marinate venison steaks (or chops - whatever you have). Feel free to use whatever marinade you personally like. Me? I used: 1/2 cup sherry, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp black peppercorns, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp rosemary, 1/8 tsp ground red pepper, 1/8 tsp cajun spice, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground thyme.

Marinade for several hours, if not overnight. Up to you how long you want to marinate it. I let mine marinate for about 5 hours.

When ready to cook, take out your venison and let it sit on the counter a little to take the chill out. While the venison is chilling out...

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Now make a small batch of this cream cheese topping (it's a "topping" for this recipe, not a "stuffing"). You'll want to end up with about one to two tablespoons per piece of venison you are going to cook.

In a stovetop pan, cook up some bacon and chop it up (or -- if you are lazy like me -- just microwave a few pieces of the ready-made bacon). Chop up some onion and cook it in oil (or the bacon drippings). Onion is done when its tender. If you have some mushrooms, chop a little of those up and cook them with the onions. Or maybe chop up some green peppers and throw them in with the onions. It's up to you - you are painting a picture, not building a rocketship. 

Mix onion (and mushrooms and/or peppers if you opted for those, too) and bacon in some cream cheese until well-blended. Sprinkle and blend in a little (just a little) parsley, mainly for color and presentation - remember (in my best Bob Ross voice): you're painting a happy picture. For my four pieces of venison steaks, I used 5 pieces of bacon, a quarter of an onion, and 4oz of cream cheese, but I think that all might have made a little too much - but just a little. I love this stuff, so I didn't mind having a little more. I wish I had mushrooms, but this was a last-minute dinner decision so wasn't able to go buy some.

OK, heat up to medium-high a cast iron skillet (something that can later go in the oven). Take your venison steaks and place them in the skillet and sear each side - 2 minutes for each side. You just want to sear the meat, not cook it through.

Then, on each piece of venison, place a tablespoon or two of your cream cheese topping on top.

Put the skillet in the oven for about 10 minutes, less so if you like your venison more red inside.

Take skillet out of oven, plate the venison and let it sit for a few minutes to rest.

Then enjoy.

It's a beautiful picture! Delicious!

venison-with-cream-cheese.thumb.jpg.b1ebf2e447adde59bfe3b49b095890d3.jpg

venison-with-cream-cheese-2.thumb.jpg.f3b968325a98df7d1b2bd686c093d793.jpg

20 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

remember (in my best Bob Ross voice): you're painting a happy picture.

You sure painted one and I copied your cream cheese topping recipe.... thanks for posting.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

30 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

you're lazy and wanted something simple to make?

It really wasn't hard, I promise :) Splash in some marinade and let it sit. Cook and mix onions, bacon, cream cheese. Sear and bake steak with some cream cheese on top. Simple! ;) 

17 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Looks great but wow, you wrote all this about a steak :happywave:

But it was such a **good** steak!

While I was making it, I was like, let's put a little onion in here... how about some happy little bacon bits. It was a happy little steak.