IGNORED

Thoughts on this blood

BillW0323

Shot a buck at 8:20. He instantly fell to the ground like a spine shot. He pushed himself 40 yards, got up and walked away slowly. I could see him bleeding badly about 80 yards away. Started tracking at 9:15 or so. Followed this blood for 200-250 yards and now it’s down to tiny droplets. Broadhead and 1.5” of bolt are in the deer. Blood and hair 6-7” up the bolt. Deer was headed for really thick briars. 

F9D6FC11-826D-4925-91CE-4DB605684FCB.jpeg

8946C539-A793-4703-BD56-181F8F7821B6.jpeg

46DB5AB7-CC04-4910-A5CA-F1A3C6A8548D.jpeg

42DD86D6-C959-46D9-98A7-D8D9E291C885.jpeg

32AF37DA-D3AD-41AB-ADA7-AABF39E50B59.jpeg

DBA6BB48-C724-4F75-B758-8509771A3CE2.jpeg

17417F09-6EBD-49C7-935D-09CFDF967CEF.jpeg

Looks like lung blood and maybe you hit the shoulder and got some penetration, but the deer took off and bolt snapped.  If the hit was high, most of the bleeding could be internal.  Were you in a blind or a tree stand?  How far away was the deer when you shot?  Could you tell where the bolt impacted?

I'd think it's a dead deer.  Just give it some more time.  Maybe get some help tracking.  Also be extra careful gutting bc the bolt/broadhead are still in there. 

Where are you located?  Maybe someone here can give you a hand

Broadside, quarter to/from? Blood looks real good, penetration is concerning with only 1.5” broke off. Dead deer but might take a bit. Could give a better guess once I know deers positioning. 

Edited by Tbryant

agree with all stated, just one other possibility you jarred the spinal cord but not enough to paralyze and got very high part of one lung.   But the shot had to be up in the forward section most likely you are about where I said but close enough to the scapula so that his first step sheared off the bolt and the opposite scapula is what stopped pass through.. .Did hit look high?  (if you could tell)   Definitely nicked one lung it seems.    Deer will die just not sure how soon so yes give it 4-6 hours from hit and go very slow later on.   Do leave yourself enough daylight to properly look.   If you want to bring a dog handler - not a bad way to go either.   They are most effective when they are "first on the job" and deer is not pushed .   Good luck

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

agree with all stated, just one other possibility you jarred the spinal cord but not enough to paralyze and got very high part of one lung.   But the shot had to be up in the forward section most likely you are about where I said but close enough to the scapula so that his first step sheared off the bolt and the opposite scapula is what stopped pass through.. .Did hit look high?  (if you could tell)   Definitely nicked one lung it seems.    Deer will die just not sure how soon so yes give it 4-6 hours from hit and go very slow later on.   Do leave yourself enough daylight to properly look.   If you want to bring a dog handler - not a bad way to go either.   They are most effective when they are "first on the job" and deer is not pushed .   Good luck

Agree with TCook. Did the blood abruptly go from heavy to droplets? I have a feeling you bumped him. Looks like he was moving slow with all that blood.

Let him go for a few more hours. Hopefully he lays down quickly and doesn’t get back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

9 minutes ago, Devil Horns said:

Agree with TCook. Did the blood abruptly go from heavy to droplets? I have a feeling you bumped him. Looks like he was moving slow with all that blood.

Let him go for a few more hours. Hopefully he lays down quickly and doesn’t get back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please don't confuse me with TCook.  He may grow bigger bucks but I am way better looking. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 hours ago, BillW0323 said:

I could see him bleeding badly

Where was the blood coming from? high/low? 

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

Looks like lung blood and maybe you hit the shoulder and got some penetration, but the deer took off and bolt snapped.  If the hit was high, most of the bleeding could be internal.  Were you in a blind or a tree stand?  How far away was the deer when you shot?  Could you tell where the bolt impacted?

Without knowing the answers to the above questions its anybody's guess at this point! I agree it does look like lung blood, but I have also seen bubbles in main artery hits. So another scenario is if he dropped in his tracks (which also could of snapped the bolt off)and then walked away,it could of been a high hit which caused spinal shock and hopefully hitting the aortic artery. Good Luck:up:

Edited by bucky