IGNORED

Check your string serving!!!

delvalhunter

As some of you may have read in the 10/30 check-in I had an equipment malfunction last night as I drew back on a great buck. I’ve never had this happen to me before in the woods!  As I drew back on the buck and reached full draw, my arrow slid off of the string at the nock point. I was able to nock another arrow and draw again going unnoticed, however the same thing happened! As I watched my buck walk away, I felt so sick! I checked things out this morning, and drew the bow back with no problems and the arrow held just fine. As I looked closer, I noticed my serving was ever-so-slightly flattened at the nock point. I wet the string to imitate conditions of last evening and sure enough it happened again. I’ll be replacing the string serving today to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Lesson learned to check every little thing on your equipment before heading into the woods. Something so tiny (literally) out of place and simple as this gave that old buck more days to roam!

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

6 minutes ago, delvalhunter said:

As some of you may have read in the 10/30 check-in I had an equipment malfunction last night as I drew back on a great buck. I’ve never had this happen to me before in the woods!  As I drew back on the buck and reached full draw, my arrow slid off of the string at the nock point. I was able to nock another arrow and draw again going unnoticed, however the same thing happened! As I watched my buck walk away, I felt so sick! I checked things out this morning, and drew the bow back with no problems and the arrow held just fine. As I looked closer, I noticed my serving was ever-so-slightly flattened at the nock point. I wet the string to imitate conditions of last evening and sure enough it happened again. I’ll be replacing the string serving today to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Lesson learned to check every little thing on your equipment before heading into the woods. Something so tiny (literally) out of place and simple as this gave that old buck more days to roam!

And it had to happen on a buck. unbelievable:shock:

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

And it had to happen on a buck. unbelievable:shock:

I know, right?!  The serving could’ve been worn for quite some time but with it being wet last night, it must’ve been just enough lube to allow it to slide off. I also use a nocking point that has a peep aligner so that “wing” on the back of the nocking point could keep the nock from firmly gripping the string when the serving wears down. 

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

That SUCKS!

Couple things;

Knocks wear out, can't shoot the same ones forever.

I was taught they should snap on but move with little effort along the serving. Serving should also be size according. 

Also, check for knock pinch, once as full draw your knockset or d-loop depending how you have it setup might be able to push the knock off the string. Just a thought.

Edited by kanigie

5 hours ago, kanigie said:

That SUCKS!

Couple things;

Knocks wear out, can't shoot the same ones forever.

I was taught they should snap on but move with little effort along the serving. Serving should also be size according. 

Also, check for knock pinch, once as full draw your knockset or d-loop depending how you have it setup might be able to push the knock off the string. Just a thought.

Bingo, d-loop should have space between the bottom of the arrow nock and the lower knot, when tuned in a little wax heated on the knots will keep them from moving. 

AWM