johnyanu

im new to deer hunting is this a good buck

It's good as in "delicious" - can't eat the horns :)

"Good" is in the eye of the beholder - if you would be happy harvesting him, it's good. Doesn't matter what anyone else says.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Winner 1

That’s a decent NJ buck. I’d pass it but if you’re new to hunting and haven’t shot one yet it’s a dandy if you think so! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If you are new to hunting then put an arrow in that deer the first chance you get and be proud of it. Don't worry about age and rack size yet, get some experience and enjoy the ride!

Edited by 3Blade
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Most of us that pass bucks know didn't when we started out. And over time began to pass them. Getting a  buck or  doe on the ground when we first start out is a great accomplishment. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

He IS a young deer but with great genes. My advice...don’t ask others on a site like this if he is “a good one”. Most wouldn’t admit it, but most people bow hunting in this state would think twice before giving him the pass.  What I can say though is you’ve got yourself a nice spot there with good looking deer!

• Like 2

When I first started hunting I would have given my left nut for a buck like that.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

If it's the best buck you've ever shot (or the first buck you've ever shot)...SHOOT IT.  Don't get all caught up in the rack shaming.  I will never and have never passed on a buck that is better than any other I previously shot.  

This is just opinion.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

100% shoot the first legal deer that gives you a good shot if you have not shot one before, and be proud of whatever it is...there's only one way to learn some of the lessons that come with shooting an animal, and that's to shoot an animal.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hydro psyche said:

100% shoot the first legal deer that gives you a good shot if you have not shot one before, and be proud of whatever it is...there's only one way to learn some of the lessons that come with shooting an animal, and that's to shoot an animal.

thanks for the advice.