JDude

Turkey Hunting Area 16 Troubles

Anyone have any luck so far this fall in Area 16? I’ve tried Stafford forge and Bass River state forest by 539 and I haven't even heard a gobble. Anyone have any recommendations/Tips?

Thanks

a lot of times they dont gobble this time of year. most people learn their patterns and get in front of where they are going or rush the birds to split them up then sit down and call them back. totally different then spring hunting

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, rgw said:

a lot of times they dont gobble this time of year. most people learn their patterns and get in front of where they are going or rush the birds to split them up then sit down and call them back. totally different then spring hunting

Thanks, I’m gonna try again in the morning.

Doesn't mean anything now, but a couple months ago on my way to shooters a tom crossed 539 just south of s. shore drive.

Honestly the only bird I've seen in that area as I don't hunt 16, just happened to cross paths. But may be worth a look.

He crossed from west to east

Edited by Greg
  • Agree 1

I tried the part of the forge south of south shore drive. I got there a little bit late, I thought I heard a turkey but no luck. Ran into someone who told me they see them in that area every morning. 

I can only remember one time when I heard a single gobble while hunting them in the fall. They are very quiet in the fall. If you are hunting them using spring-season methods, you will have a very hard time. They just don't gobble like they do in the spring (gobbling I guess is more during mating season).

58 minutes ago, Hunter99 said:

Opening day of duck season when it sounded like WW3, they were gobbling like crazy 

You sure it wasn't the turkey farm nearby :D

I have Turkeys in my backyard. They gobble all spring and early summer. Very rare to hear one in fall. Males are not looking to hook up. 

1 hour ago, Hunter99 said:

Opening day of duck season when it sounded like WW3, they were gobbling like crazy 

Shock gobbling 

23 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Shock gobbling 

I know I was just joking about it haha. That was only time I heard a fall gobble

23 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

You sure it wasn't the turkey farm nearby :D

Lol I hope not otherwise I've been hunting domestics:rofl: its one of my hunting spots on an island in the river

On 10/29/2019 at 10:43 PM, Stan Putz said:

Look for food source in the fall, don't listen for gobbling

^----- This is the best advice.  Turkey will follow an almost predictable pattern in the fall foraging for food.  I had turkey on my deer bait at the same time of day every day.

Look for scratching in the leaves on the forest floor.  It'll look like 20 people were trampling through the forest.  Find a couple of spots that look like that, and hunt between them.  I'm sure you'll see some birds show up.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:17 AM, mazzgolf said:

I can only remember one time when I heard a single gobble while hunting them in the fall. They are very quiet in the fall. If you are hunting them using spring-season methods, you will have a very hard time. They just don't gobble like they do in the spring (gobbling I guess is more during mating season).

If you can scatter them in the fall, they will often gobble while trying to regroup. But they'll gobble just for the heck of it sometimes, I think they know how cool they sound.:smoking: