Winter snows will be great for our trout streams! (pix)

Wondering what color the snow was that fell late last November and early December?  Well here it is, still melting away in the upper headwaters of the South Branch watershed a few hundred yards from my house.... 

P1000088.JPG

P1000086.JPG

P1000087.JPG

Impressive given that April is only a couple of days away.  We went into winter nearly at drought stage, but came out of it in fine shape.  These slowly melting snows will really recharge our aquifers and slowly leach out into summer, keeping our wild trout (and stocked trout) very happy.  

Impressive given that April is only a couple of days away.  We went into winter nearly at drought stage, but came out of it in fine shape.  These slowly melting snows will really recharge our aquifers and slowly leach out into summer, keeping our wild trout (and stocked trout) very happy.  

:up:

I remember about 15 years ago (God, I'm old) camping at Dingman's and driving over the bridge to angle Flat Brook around Memorial Day.  You could see stocked trout all over the river.  I figure in about an hour I hooked 3 keepers and called it a day (there was cold beer at camp, and I had caught the next day's breakfast).  The only challenge was casting far enough in front of them as to not scare them and let the lure drift just far enough in front of them to annoy them into striking.

You don't need big water to hold over stocked streams, you just need to find water no one else is willing to wade into.  A lot of guys put waders on and stand in one place.  I'll find a good river and wade downstream casting the pools that are "inconvenient".  Their loss...