NJ Gobbling Reports

redsquirrel

Turkeys were all fired up last week when it warmed up a bit. Got cold again this week and now there all  clammed up.

Highs here today were only 27 degrees.  We'll still have a little snow on the ground by April 1st.  That's an impressive winter!  Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm DONE with this cold

Highs here today were only 27 degrees.  We'll still have a little snow on the ground by April 1st.  That's an impressive winter!  Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm DONE with this cold

I'm done with it too. I'm hopeing the grounds gonna be warm enough to plant my veggie plants on the second week of May.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard my first gobble of the year when I woke up yesterday morning at dawn for trout fishing.  That gave me the motivation I needed to get up at 4 today to go scouting.  I was rewarded well, heard 1 bird gobble about 15 times on the roost, and another 5 times about a 1/2 hour after fly down.  Saw a few from a distance and then ran into a flock with a strutter while driving around the property.  Stopped in the neighborhood next to mine to look for the resident turkeys and saw 2 gobblers in full strut with 4 hens.  All in all a great morning.  Can't wait for the season!

Nice redsquirrel! It's a great feeling to know where they are.

I've been out listening three times now in my usual spots. Not one bird so far. I'm sure I'll find them before the season, but usually I would already have heard some gobbling. 

Nice redsquirrel! It's a great feeling to know where they are.

I've been out listening three times now in my usual spots. Not one bird so far. I'm sure I'll find them before the season, but usually I would already have heard some gobbling. 

Keep at it! I think they might be starting a little late this year because of the winter.  All of the hens that I saw were ignoring the gobblers but the gobblers were following them around showing them what they got.  I'm sure things will pick up even better over the next couple weeks.  If I get a chance I'll try to post a video of the ones in the neighborhood.  They wouldn't gobble but were doing a lot of spitting and drumming.  

I saw one that isn't going to be gobbling anymore...it was waffled on Route 295 between 38 and 73 yesterday morning.

I'm going to see if I can get out this spring with my camera to get some shots of some local birds working fields in the mornings/evenings! :up:

I saw that one also Matt

I watched some gobblers strutting by my house yesterday morning in a cut cornfield.  And last evening, my family and I did an owl walk in Chester and any barred owl call immediately got response gobbles from turkeys roosting in the trees nearby.

On a separate topic, we watched about 5 to 7 woodcock mating flights with males launching right over our heads.  If you've never see or heard it before, it is one of the coolest things in nature.