IGNORED

Buck pass or shoot?

koz

I have to admit it, I have been for the past 20 years of deer hunting i was a "meat hunter".  If it was legal and in range, I shot it. I have few nice 8 point bucks on the wall but I never was a trophy guy. Then I meet a fat 10 point buck. I hunt this farm with old apple trees in the back end of the property. I had seen few bucks and lots of doe. I hung a trail cam and got pic of the " big boy".  He is typical thick framed buck. large body maybe 190 on the hoof.

I have several pic(s) of him on the same trail cam. I even had him at 80 yards. I got busted by the doe under my stand and he walked off with the ladies. He was seen by the farmer few times. It was varied at times with no pattern. Some day, some night sightings. I have not gotten any more pics since Friday. 

I have passed on three other bucks. In years past, I would have sent my carbon express pile drivers thru each one on the first chance presented.  Now the "big boy" has been MIA... I don't plan on getting my permit archery tag. I have seen the 8 and he is nice just not "big boy". This property is archery only farmer had a knuckle head shoot into his dairy barn few years ago....:shotgun::down:

I have two doe already in freezer. So I guess I am trophy hunting. I might just shoot the 8 but I can't get him out of my head....:bulb:

Edited by koz

7 minutes ago, SPEARFISH said:

When you are after a specific deer hunting takes on another meaning.

Agree. 

@OP It’s all about choices. Years ago I would follow suit and take a decent buck. I have never been one of those guys that need to fill a tag, post a kill to get atta boys from peers or settle because the one isn’t showing up anymore. It seems you are at the point where you’re wrestling with the should I or shouldn’t I stage. As buck154 said, if you need to think about it just pass for now. Your big boy may end up using your decent 8 as a pawn to see what’s safe or not. Shoot him and you may miss a big opportunity 

AWM