willtravelfordeer

PA bow hunter looking for help

I just found this site and wow what a great resource.  I have been hunting in New Jersey on a couple small properties for 10 years.  I have an uncle who asked me to come thin the heard at his place in Hunterdon county and met another guy who asked for the same service.  PA is hard to get doe tags for the areas i hunt so i harvest most of my does in NJ where it seems over-populated.  I normally only use a bow or crossbow in NJ, but I open to using anything.  My issue now is that my harvests have started to work and the population of deer living and traveling through the areas i hunt has drastically reduced.  I have mobile trail cameras so i get an up to date accounting of deer movements on these properties.

What I am asking for help with is new locations to hunt.  Ideally somewhere in the Princeton-Flemington area, but I am happy to check out new areas too.  Are there clubs with access to land in those areas, or public land worth checking out.  I know the sourland preserve exists, but it always seems like such a hassle to get the permit from them since i have to drive 2 hours each way to get the permit during the work day.  Its very hard to get that done.  Most of my hunting is weekend warrior stuff.  I get up at 2 am on a Saturday and hunt most of Saturday and Sunday when possible.  A couple years ago i went to a meeting in Hopewell about the over population issue in central NJ where land owners, biologists, and nature enthusiasts met to discuss the issue.  I spoke up and said i am happy to come help, but access is such an issue.  I enjoy taking a good buck as much as anyone, but I understand there are landowners out there looking for help with doe harvesting.

Thanks for any and all tips.  I really enjoy hunting in NJ and I am fine to continue harvesting on my two properties, but i know there is a ton more out there and I just don't know where to start.

Thanks

• Like 1

Can't your uncle or the other person hook you up with other people looking to cull their herd. If not your other choice is to go door to door.

You must have really wacked em hard to make a difference in a Hunterdon County herd ...whole county is infested w deer! 

Just wondering ...how many harvests have u made over the years to make a difference on your uncle's n his pals places??  How many acres u talkin bout??

Hopewell has a nice program, Somerset county may have a program as well as 6 mile run property,  and any of the govt property along the water gap is good huntin. Good luck!

the one property is only 4 acres - the other one is 20.  I took 10 last year between the two and I'm at 4 so far this year.  They aren't gone, but they are less numerous and wise to my few ambush locations.

I don't mind going door to door, but almost everything is posted - and i always worry about people being upset even for asking.

• Like 1

Go to any of the local towns websites and look for management hunts.

they are always looking for people to shoot does. 

Most you have to apply in the. Spring/summer 

There is also a bunch of public land along the jersey side of the bridge from you that’s loaded with does. 

No special permit just go

11 hours ago, Bushnlo said:

There is also a bunch of public land along the jersey side of the bridge from you that’s loaded with does. 

No special permit just go

You mean on the New Jersey side right?  Near Washington crossing state park? North of that?

Yes north of the bridge. Go on njfishwildlife website or on any of the towns websites