Rusty

My moon overhead experience

Since the discussion of the moon has come up recently, here's why I won't discount it.

I live and hunt in Sussex but my family has a beautiful farm in Asbury that I like to hunt a few times each year for nostalgic reasons.  It's 3 hours round trip and some days I would see lots of deer and other days nada.  If you're gonna spend 3 hours driving it's more fun if you see deer.

The first time that I read about the moon overhead / underfoot theory was back in the 80s and I was skeptical.  But, at the time I was getting my masters in deer management so I was curious.  I was planning to hunt the farm that Saturday so I checked out the moon overhead times for that day.  It was early season and it didn't get dark until 7:00.  The moon overhead time for that day was 4:00.  Normally I wouldn't have gotten in the tree that early but I wanted to see if there was anything to this moon thing.   

That day was hot and sunny and there was no way that deer were gonna be moving 3 hours before dark in that heat.  I was sitting on the corner of a cornfield and at exactly 4:00 a parade of bucks walked under my stand and into the cornfield.  I actually started laughing.  The 4th buck stopped and stood broadside at 12 yards, it was too perfect of a shot to pass up.  At exactly the same time, only 100 yards away, my buddy also shot a buck.  

Over the next 2 years I hunted the farm 8 times.  I would only make the trip on days when the moon was overhead (or underfoot) during the last two hours of daylight.  On every single trip we had multiple shot opportunities.

In addition,  I was working for F&W on the deer project back then and spent a lot of time at deer check stations.  I noticed that check stations were significantly more busy when the moon was overhead (underfoot) at dawn and dusk on a Saturday.  

mark.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

Interesting, maybe there should be chart on NJWW with overhead/ underfoot times to see if the jump in “buck down” posts coincide with those times or simply increase during those times. Would be interesting to compare with multiple hunters in multiple locations

• Like 6

Was the moon overhead (underfoot) yesterday morning anywhere between 5am and 10am? 
I spoke to the butcher yesterday and he said he was very busy yesterday with a steady stream.  Busiest Saturday so far this year. ( I am sure multiple factors come in to play here) but I am curious. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elusive said:

Was the moon overhead (underfoot) yesterday morning anywhere between 5am and 10am? 
I spoke to the butcher yesterday and he said he was very busy yesterday with a steady stream.  Busiest Saturday so far this year. ( I am sure multiple factors come in to play here) but I am curious. 

Add this site to your phone, just added it to mine to track this stuff for the remainder of the year. Fun geeky deer hunter stuff LOL

2D89C165-9128-4434-9341-872B3D3A78AA.thumb.jpeg.e221335f3cd522b44ddabc511f31308a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

MGHunter66 is right. USprimetimes is a great site! I've correlated sightings more times than not using that site.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, elusive said:

I am sure multiple factors come in to play 

Yes it was.  And yes, there are a lot of factors that all play a role in deer activity.  No one factor is the end all be all for deer movement.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Yes it was.  And yes, there are a lot of factors that all play a role in deer activity.  No one factor is the end all be all for deer movement.  

Agreed. Yesterday morning seemed like one of the best morning in some time that I have experienced with deer  movement. Consistent deer movement. Although stand placement came into factor, deer were on their feet from the time I got in at 5:45am until I shot that buck at 9:10. 
It was very neat to see. 

• Like 1

What was the moon 6pm on 9/17 when my velvet 10 pt stepped out much to my surprise? Never in a million years did I think that old buck would do that.  

2 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

What was the moon 6pm on 9/17 when my velvet 10 pt stepped out much to my surprise? Never in a million years did I think that old buck would do that.  

The moon was underfoot at 4 PM 

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Screenshot_20191020-211122_Time2Fish.jpg

• Like 2

So time invested is my rule of success but the moon definitely plays a huge part of deer movement.  Last week when the moon was full I had all cell cameras blowing up mid day. Unfortunately I dont have the time to sit all day and got out at 830...well of course the 6.5 year old ghost shows up checking scrapes at 9.....🤬

• Like 4

This thread is very interesting.

In simplest form, how does someone interpret the best hours of hunting on usprimetimes.com ? 

Thanks for posting Rusty 👍

10 hours ago, Rusty said:

The moon was underfoot at 4 PM 

I suppose that could have something to do with it and the reason he showed nearly an hour before dark....  Again- a buck that frequented the area, routinely showed on camera but mostly at night, is at least 5.5 years old and I had not seen from stand since 2016.  It takes a lot to get a buck like that to show in shooting light.  I had perfect wind, I had a pair of 8 pointers sparring (the dominance factor), and perhaps or more definitely - the moon underfoot already had him up and roaming around feeling his oats. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The moon plays a factor on everything on planet earth. High/low Tides, fishing, and human behavior. I truly believe the moon has a strong influence on deer behavior. 

• Like 1