Gobblengrunt

Jersey bear camp=3 bears and a buck!

A had 3 good friends (husband, wife, and daughter team) from south jersey come up north for an opportunity to hunt some Jersey bears with me.  I know the newark watershed very well but additionally scouted multiple great stand locations for them.  I walk/ scout about 5-10 miles every morning searching for my next big buck or in their case, bears.  I became confident in 17 different stands locations that with the right wind, patience, and a little luck success was in their near future.  Day 1 Christina shot a nice white blazed bear at 15 yards with her compound.  RJ seen a small bear and a nice 250# boar but offered no shot.  Me and Meghan sat dawn to dusk together seeing nothing.  Meghan is an accomplished young hunter woman but has never killed a bear before.  Day 2 RJ sticks a monster 470# boar with his compound which died in the thickest swamp possible.  It was an all day ordeal removing that beast from the woods.  Meghan sat dawn to dusk again seeing nothing.  Her patience and perseverance was impressive.  Day 3 no animals seen.  Day 4 Meghan had a big bear sneak past her at close range.  She was sitting on a rock ledge with RJ but unfortunately got so rattled to make an ethical shot.  She was shaking so bad she had to pass up this shot opportunity with her crossbow!  Day 5 Meghan once again sat dawn to dusk and seen no bear.  The times during this week when I actually hunted myself i was focused on deer.  Late afternoon day 5 i was rewarded with a mature P&Y buck.  The last day, RJ was going to sit with Meghan on a stream crossing as I pulled stands and cameras elsewhere.  I went to investigate my bucks gut pile later that morning when i seen a bear quietly eating it.  I snuck out of the woods, ran to the car, drove 5 miles to pull meghan out of her treestand to come hunt this bear with me.  She was now equipped with a muzzleloader.  45 minutes later i located the bear and we put a nice stalk on it.  She dropped her first black bear at 75 yards at the very last minute of her hunt.  It was in incredible week of hunting for us.  The joy and emotions of Meghan shooting her first bear made my whole season.  Thanks for looking

C892B222-C0DA-4912-B835-416FDB122E77.jpeg

43AC2FC8-0CC9-4071-9386-E25B9573B19D.jpeg

DAC9EF40-9FC6-4D24-8E79-A8ADAF820593.jpeg

9F4E4A7E-AA68-4EE2-8BEF-EB731EBE6DC0.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Winner 10

2 minutes ago, gobblergetter said:

That is freak'n Awesome !

That does accurately sum it up!!  Kudos to the guide, well done sir!!  :cheers:

Hell of a local hunt right there. Who says you have travel out West for a great hunt? Congrats.

• Agree 1

Congrats on the awesome week!!!! Your a good man to put that work in and take care of friends like that.  

that's a dream week about anywhere in the world.  I would have opted for your buck over any bear though!   Congrats to you and the crew. 

Edited by JHbowhunter
  • Agree 2