IGNORED

Deer 'problem' amplified by Fish & Wildlife survey

BowhunterNJ

The March 20 op-ed, “Look out for more aggressive deer-hunting policies,” written by the director of the New Jersey Conservation Foundation, shows how a New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife public survey is being used to bring “new hunting rules” closer to suburban areas or even “hunting for commercial purposes in key forest areas.”

The New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife (NJDFW) mission statement is to “increase recreational hunting opportunities for hunters,” because they depend on the sale of hunting licenses to augment their budget. The remainder of their budget comes from New Jersey’s share of the annual $600 million-plus set aside from gun and ammunition sales under the Pittman-Robertson Act.

New Jersey Division Fish & Wildlife, together with the support of its long-time partner, New Jersey Conservation Foundation, wants to expand its hunting opportunities in suburban and urban areas by developing this public survey of deer in their neighborhoods.

Most of the questions in this survey are leading and negative. Survey respondents are denied any opportunity to express a preference for non-lethal deer management, which independent polls show people prefer, like the PZP deer immunocontraception program which began in March in Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y.

Complaints taken from this survey will lead to more hunts in suburban backyards.

There will be no mention that New Jersey Conservation Foundation favors cutting down forests, supporting A1775 Logging Bill and creating optimum breeding habitat for larger deer populations. Or that NJDFW plant crops to create more deer on its Wildlife Management Areas. Or that adjacent hunts in suburban areas force deer to seek refuge in suburban areas — all only leading to more hunting of deer.

Carol Rivielle

WEST ORANGE

Article

No, I believe you are reading it right! :)
The writers opinion doesn't make much sense...in fact they support the purpose of the initiatives.

There will be no mention that New Jersey Conservation Foundation favors cutting down forests, supporting A1775 Logging Bill and creating optimum breeding habitat for larger deer populations.

Yes selective cutting and timbering is a good way to help improve forest and wildlife health for all species, not just deer.

Or that NJDFW plant crops to create more deer on its Wildlife Management Areas.

Yes, I wish NJDFW would do MORE of that. The WMAs are for that purpose, paid for by the outdoorsmen and women of this state. Crops are beneficial for improving the habitat for all wildlife, not just deer.

Or that adjacent hunts in suburban areas force deer to seek refuge in suburban areas — all only leading to more hunting of deer.

So by this extrapolated theory...if we hunt adjacent properties A to the adjacent properties B to the suburban areas, then that would push deer from the adjacent properties A to adjacent properties B where the deer would miraculously stop going into suburban areas and would just stay in adjacent properties B? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!   :loco:

BTW the writer of that opinion and those who fall under her organization, LEAGUE OF HUMANE VOTERS OF NEW JERSEY, are rather delusional...

Here's an excerpt from another article where one of them said the following (hard to tell who exactly it was by the way the article was written).

Few are aware that deer "scream" when shot, or when hit with the terrible and searing impact of a razor-tipped arrow. Shooting is not as seen on television; it is rarely clean, and it isn't pretty. The animal stumbles, cries out, and suffers. Wounding rates are unacceptably high. In some quarters, such concerns are derided as mere "sentimentality." To the Animal Protection League of New Jersey, to our members, and to a large segment of the public, they are basic decency.

Article

Personally I've never heard a deer "scream"...so count me in the few? Amazing how anti-hunters know about these esoteric "facts" yet those of us that do the actual killing don't.

Shooting is very often seen on TV, and in fact it's shown on this site regularly (look at The Field Archer's videos)...I don't hear any deer screaming or "crying out" in those videos.

I've heard hunters scream like little girls when they stick their heads into spiders webs climbing to their stands, but never heard a deer scream. I don't think their vocal cords have the range to do that. 

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I guess some guys are holding their arrows over the grill before they let them fly...

No need for that. The ultra super sonic speed that arrows leave my finely tuned bow create a searing hot broadhead that cooks the meat to a perfect medium rare before it screams and drops.

Elite Pure...
Bow only, deer hunter

No need for that. The ultra super sonic speed that arrows leave my finely tuned bow create a searing hot broadhead that cooks the meat to a perfect medium rare before it screams and drops.

HAHA... there is the next big hunting product.  I can see Lee and Tiffany promoting it already...  :rofl: BBQ broadheads.  

Growing up here,taking my safety course at butts and bows in 1971 and that journey from then till now has been a ride and most of it many good times afield!Today I'm tired and just plain out saddened how many good deer land/spots I had that fell to development probably one where this girl lives with the cost's comparison both monetary wise and politic's wise.If it were up to me I'd just throw up my arms say ok anti's NO hunting in nj for 3 years as an experiment so think about it what do you think the overall findings would be.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt