IGNORED

GFCI outlet question

Lunatic

I’m replacing outside outlet. I bought a double unit and looking at diagram each gets one black and one white wire. I only have one black, one white and one ground wire coming out of the wall. Can I split the black and white supply wires to feed both without burning the house down?

Just now, Stugots said:

No you don't need 2 of each unless you're feeding other outlets. It should say LINE and LOAD. You want to use LINE. Not an electrician but a contractor. Think I'm correct on this one.

So connect white and black to line side only? 

Lunatic if the second receptacle in the pack is a non gfci outlet then run the line coming in to the line side on the gfci then wires out of the load side into the non gfci receptacle. If it is 2 gfci receptacles then run power in to the line side and out of the line side into the line side of the 2nd receptacle. Also if they are going outside be sure your devices are WR and TR rated

6 minutes ago, Bubblehead said:

Lunatic if the second receptacle in the pack is a non gfci outlet then run the line coming in to the line side on the gfci then wires out of the load side into the non gfci receptacle. If it is 2 gfci receptacles then run power in to the line side and out of the line side into the line side of the 2nd receptacle. Also if they are going outside be sure your devices are WR and TR rated

Well it’s a one, double unit, both gfci. I’m assuming now to feed the line side and both will work. 

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

Well it’s a one, double unit, both gfci. I’m assuming now to feed the line side and both will work. 

Put a picture up of unit .

if it’s two separate GFCI you would need to splice a set of black /white and green wires and wire each appropriately to the line side terminals .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

Put a picture up of unit .

if it’s two separate GFCI you would need to splice a set of black /white and green wires and wire each appropriately to the line side terminals .

Ok, I’ll when I get home 

thanks 

Luny, that’s one device .

just hook up the line side terminals .

black to hot

white to white
green to green screw.

the bottom rectacle is bussed inside to work .

the load terminals would only be is you were running other receptacles from the GFCI  to be GFCI protected

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

36 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Luny, that’s one device .

just hook up the line side terminals .

black to hot

white to white
green to green screw.

the bottom rectacle is bussed inside to work .

the load terminals would only be is you were running other receptacles from the GFCI  to be GFCI protected

Ok, thank you. The old one didn’t work anymore, completely rusted, and I removed it with a hammer when removing the siding for door install