IGNORED

Was Charlie Right???

Rusty

Charlie Alsheimer's moon theory was that the second full moon of the fall kicked off the rut.  The full moon was last weekend and the bucks have been chasing does like crazy this week.  Maybe Charlie was right???  

On a related note, I drove to Lancaster today and I lost count of the number of roadkill bucks.  It was crazy.    

It's time, my favorite time! Mischief  night!Been 3 years since my last hunt.Been so preparing to make it happen. Unfortunately I can hardly walk right now. Think I pulled a groin muscle during my own rut.:banghead:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

10 hours ago, Rusty said:

Charlie Alsheimer's moon theory was that the second full moon of the fall kicked off the rut.  The full moon was last weekend and the bucks have been chasing does like crazy this week.  Maybe Charlie was right???  

On a related note, I drove to Lancaster today and I lost count of the number of roadkill bucks.  It was crazy.    

Not chasing in central 

There is something to the theory, but I don't think it is as date-specific as some would like it to be. Late October -early November will always be the peak of mating activity for whitetail deer. I will say it seemed to start a little earlier this year than in past years.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

The only way to solve the mystery is to get out and observe. They can be quiet one day and on fire the next. On fire to going unseen. The pre rue is most times always like that.. I sit here chomping at the bit wondering what is going on in my neck of the woods.

They are definitely out and about the past two days. I just drove from Exit 12 on 80 to exit 4a on 280 and back and counted 16 dead deer. Of which 13 were bucks, one doe and two were road hamburgers so no gender reveal today. There were not that many on Friday when I was driving basically the same route. Between (dare I say the moon) and the cool temps, they are definitely out seeking right now. You also need to take into account the clear day and high pressure we had in place yesterday. 

Edited by elusive

The rut happens at the same time every year. Plenty of studies done on unborn fetuses across the country confirm. Moon phase, actual geographical location, weather and hunting pressure dictate how much action and when it takes place.

Use your trail camera intel from the passed decade or however long you have one in a location to dictate when bucks are moving midday. That will give you a pretty good estimate on when it began, when actual lock down occurs, and when you start seeing new bucks expanding their searches for does take place. 

PA Turnpike had numerous red streaks in the road and several dead small bucks along the road.  Every buck I saw in the woods was hard searching and on a mission.  Back home I had a small eight at one of my spots and he showed up on one of my cams at another spot.  The distance between the two spots is easily four miles.