Climbed into a homemade ladder stand and when climbing onto the platform one of the boards on the platform pulled off shooting me off the ladder. Threw my slung gun off my back so I didn’t land on it and landed on my feet. Felt like I broke both my ankles. Crawled for about 40 yards before I got feeling back in my feet then walked in a lot of pain back to my truck. Nothing broke but really sore for days. I got lucky. 

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I was sitting in my climber at about 20’. I had my harness on and I always tether both sections together as well as strap my top section to the tree. Well I was sitting and 2 of the seat straps snapped causing me to slide out of the seat. Luckily I caught myself on the bottom section of the climber otherwise I would have been in a tough position hanging from my harness in between both sections of my climber. I always wear my harness and now use a lifeline. 

26’ but thankfully a screw in tree step caught me by my armpit ..  skin tore in both directions and I was stuck hanging until I could pull myself off. 60 or so stitches inside and another 60 outside.. 

• Disturbing 2

I was hunting a friends property climbed up into an old stand ratchet tied to a tree. Strap broke and stand with me in it starts falling backwards. I landed on my feet like a gymnast. Still have no clue how I did it but I did it in style!! Never again have i not worn a safety harness. Used all my luck that day 

3 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

Slid down a tree in a Loggy Bayou while climbing. Almost broke both my ankles

Did the same.  Climbed a smooth barked, wet tree, and slid down to the bottom.

• Like 1

Hang on stand when I was younger and dumber, with the remi sp10 when it came out,, fired a shot which threw me back causing my finger to pull the trigger and sent out another shot,,,, safety strap came tight and saved me from going over backwards.

Edited by Greg
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rdfhunter said:

26’ but thankfully a screw in tree step caught me by my armpit ..  skin tore in both directions and I was stuck hanging until I could pull myself off. 60 or so stitches inside and another 60 outside.. 

Jesus I don't know what sounds worse, that or just hitting the ground. Youre one tough mudder

Wow, some of these stories are insane. I'm a little bitch cause last yr getting something out of my truck I got off balance and tried hopping over a cooler....went straight down into the lawn with arm folded into chest. Couldn't breath for hours...ok, like 5-10sec.

Did the "hope nobody saw me" quick walk back into house.

• Haha 5

Been cheating death for 40 yrs without a fall. Now that I’m an old man I don’t tempt fate any longer. Now I always use a safety harness and a climbing rope or linesman’s belt. One of my first treestands was a TSS that had a rubber belt on both the band and crotch of the stand. I remember once climbing a tree in the morning and then a fine mist/rain started. I didn’t realize it froze on the trunk of the tree and when I started to come down I went for a speed ride to the bottom of the tree. My friend hunted out of a Baker mighty mite. Don’t know how is is still alive!

My dads best friend in early 90’s fell out of the tree snapped pine tree 15 feet up and about 3 inches or more thick on the way down unfortunately he didn’t make it and my dad found him the next day. Dad went out and bought harness’s before our next hunt. 

Many close calls, but never fell. WAY too many horror stories I've heard of guys & girls I know personally who have fallen. I don't need to kill a deer that bad anymore, most times I'll deer hunt from the ground or if I do use someone else's treestand I want rails around me to hold onto.

I just had a friend fall from a tree stand 2 weeks ago and sustained some major injury's, stand failure caused his fall and of course he had no safety harness on . I have fallen twice before portable stands and  safety harnesses did not exist back in the 70's. Back then it was find a good tree branch you could sit/stand on or build a wooden stand. I always chose a good limb, that's how I fell my first time, I got in place and leaned back against a dead branch which broke resulting in a back flip landing on my stomach in a sticker bush. I was around 12 years old at the time and thankfully at that age you bounce, second time  my friend was a machinist and he started building portable stands at work, I had one collapse because it wasn't attached to the tree properly and again resulting in no injuries do to my youth and of course some luck. My question is how many guys have fallen with or without a safety harness from tree a stand and what caused you to fall ? Was it a bad move on your part or was it equipment failure ? 
Did your buddy fall in whiting

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Nomad said:

I was climbing up into a 16 ladder stand that was chained around the tree up wear you sit.   I had my shotgun slung and my pack on my back.   I got up to the top and got my knee on the platform, only to find that someone had unchained the stand.  I tried to grab the tree, but could not. I hung onto the ladder and went for a ride, with the ladder arching back away from the tree.  Landed on my back with the ladder on top of me.  Was happy that nothing was broken and landed on relatively soft ground.

Did you ever find out who did it or have an idea who did it ?  I mean how messed up in the head do you have to be to do something like that .  I've taken a few rides in a Baker way back when but no falls thank God . Some scary shit here . 

20 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

Did you ever find out who did it or have an idea who did it ?  I mean how messed up in the head do you have to be to do something like that .  I've taken a few rides in a Baker way back when but no falls thank God . Some scary shit here . 

No, it was private property though.  

I always check as best I can now.   I also check the straps on loc ons before I step on.   Have heard of people cutting the strap almost all the way through, so it breaks when you step on the stand.

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disturbing 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

No, it was private property though.  

I always check as best I can now.   I also check the straps on loc ons before I step on.   Have heard of people cutting the strap almost all the way through, so it breaks when you step on the stand.

I check every strap on the climbing sticks and run my hand around the entire lock on strap before I get in. I did have someone unbuckle the strap on an older API. I knew who did it, guy I kicked off the property two days prior. Never saw him again but if i ever do he won’t know what hit him

• Like 2