Lunatic

$6,000 door.

In 1995 I installed a brand new sliding patio door on the addition to my house. The door rotted  out at the bottom and I could not even open it any more, it was time to replace it. I really don't like working on the house anymore so I called around to get some prices. First quote was from some company from PA, and they gave me a price, white, vinyl on both sides door, $6,000:shock:
Next price was from Anderson Renewal, again cheap vinyl on both side door and again $6,000.
I am lazy but I am not paying $6,000 to purchase/install a door.

Went to Lows and I bought a nice looking,  all wood inside Pella door for $1,100, including delivery.

I removed the siding in 30 minutes, remove and installed the door, with help from my wife and daughter, in two hours, and I reinstalled the siding in an hour. 
Next project is to replace the decking on my deck which was ruined by Behr deck cover paint. I am looking to go artificial so let me know what works well.

169915552.INMaWlsE.jpg

169915555.7joO7MCB.jpg

169915556.CelQCuCk.jpg

169915553.aaKSbyR2.jpg

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

We’re those other contractors going to line it with gold?!!?

It looks like thats the going rate and people are paying it. I really don't blame them for getting as much as they can get. That's why you are in business.

• Agree 1

Good job!!

Trex. 3x's the cost of lumber but. Lasts a lifetime. Screws ain't cheap either but no mushroom no loosening.Important point...Boards are flexible, new construction,floor joists are 12" on center instead of 16"

Edited by hunterbob1

So I sell windows and doors for a living, we sell a high quality 6ft gliding vinyl gliding patio door for $1800-2200 depending on options. An Andersen 400 series frenchwood glider goes for around $3500. A real Andersen door is solid wood construction, renewal windows and doors are hollow and made of their fibrex composite which feels and looks like particle board. I could sell you that same door, called the 100 series for $2,700. You called high pressure sales companies like renewal by Andersen who charge insane amounts. Do your homework on a good contractor, like my company, and you wouldn’t have wasted your time

• Like 4

Looks good Luny.  Deck party to install the trex, followed by bonfire and crossbow shooting!!!!  Heavy and flexible but it lasts forever.  Screws are key.  And I don't think you wasted any time, it was just the motivation you needed to save a ton of money!!!  Good Work

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tuck said:

Looks good Luny.  Deck party to install the trex, followed by bonfire and crossbow shooting!!!!  Heavy and flexible but it lasts forever.  Screws are key.  And I don't think you wasted any time, it was just the motivation you needed to save a ton of money!!!  Good Work

And he switched to Geico.

Nice work lunatic.  I have wood windows I installed long ago that need replacing.  Got them used from my father in law who was a builder.  I should never have done that, and gone new vinyl instead.  Don't feel like doing it again, either.  Will need new siding also since the old stuff is brittle and breaking.  Want to come over and take a look?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Good job!!

Trex. 3x's the cost of lumber but. Lasts a lifetime. Screws ain't cheap either but no mushroom no loosening.Important point...Boards are flexible, new construction,floor joists are 12" on center instead of 16"

The 12” vs 16” I did not know about:shock:

Edited by Lunatic

28 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

The 12” vs 16” I did not know about:shock:

You should be ok with 16". If you want to go the extra mile,install intermediate stringers with Hanger's.

P.S. Be Careful.Don't walk on in summer barefooted.lol

Trex-installation-guide-decking(1).pdf

Edited by hunterbob1

You did the right thing not going with either of them rip-off artists! You got one of the best sliders on the market for the price imo. We replace sliders all the time and the ones that last the longest is the model you got(they still operate smoothly and most times it’s the glass or wood went bad after 20-30 years, pella had a bad run back then with water getting behind the cladding), the worst of the worst is the Anderson contractor grade vinyl covered wood doors, they swell up and are hard to operate in no time.

Think about how old your framing is on the deck before you put 1000’s of dollars of composite decking down. You can do a deck with #1 select deck boards up to 20 feet long with no knots or imperfections.  Composite deck boards go for about 80-90$ a board and wood is about 20-30$ For 20 footers. You don’t want to put all that expensive decking down on a frame that’s not going to outlast it. 

You don’t need to be 12” on center either, nobody really does that, even the most anal of architects that love to watch themselves draw and pat themselves on the back don’t do that. For a short time they started doing 12” oc when the composites like trex first came out because they were weak but even then 12” oc was suggested for commercial applications. Azec composite decking is probably the best out there now  but if you’re in the sun I’d stick with wood because that stuff gets so hot you can cook burgers on it! I prefer wood.

Edited by Hitemnasty

3 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

You did the right thing not going with either of them rip-off artists! You got one of the best sliders on the market imo. We replace sliders all the time and the ones that last the longest is the model you got(they still operate smoothly and most times it’s the glass or wood went bad after 20-30 years, pella had a bad run back then with water getting behind the cladding), the worst of the worst is the Anderson contractor grade vinyl covered wood doors, they swell up and are hard to operate in no time.

Think about how old your framing is on the deck before you put 1000’s of dollars of composite decking down. You can do a deck with #1 select deck boards up to 20 feet long with no knots or imperfections.  Composite deck boards go for about 80-90$ a board and wood is about 20-30$ For 20 footers. You don’t want to put all that expensive decking down on a frame that’s not going to outlast it. 

You don’t need to be 12” on center either, nobody really does that, even the most anal of architects that love to watch themselves draw and pat themselves on the back don’t do that. For a short time they started doing 12” oc when the composites like trex first came out because they were weak but even then 12” oc was suggested for commercial applications. Azec composite decking is probably the best out there now  but if you’re in the sun I’d stick with wood because that stuff gets so hot you can cook burgers on it! I prefer wood.

The door I bought is the same model I bought in 1995. I like the door and I’m glad to hear they may have corrected  the issue I had,  but only after 20+ years. I don’t think I’m going to be in this house for next 20

i may stay with wood for the deck. It pisses me of because I took care of this deck for many years and it looked great until I applied this   “Deck cover”

Thanks