Buddlakebowhunter

New Hunter with a lot of questions

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for a tree stand for somone who is just starting out and will be hunting mostly public land? I am about 260 and don’t know if a climber would be good. Was just hoping to get some advice from more experienced guys. Also I’ve been target shooting from about 20 yards. I’ve gotten my sights just right where I Stay centered but the shots in my grouping wonder up and down. Any suggestions? Thank you

14 hours ago, Buddlakebowhunter said:

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for a tree stand for somone who is just starting out and will be hunting mostly public land? I am about 260 and don’t know if a climber would be good. Was just hoping to get some advice from more experienced guys. Also I’ve been target shooting from about 20 yards. I’ve gotten my sights just right where I Stay centered but the shots in my grouping wonder up and down. Any suggestions? Thank you

I bought a new M7 Microlite before this season. In the past I've used a Millenium 150 monster (so comfortable I would often fall asleep in it) and a harness or boatswains chair of sorts. The M7 have has been great, the platform is tiny but the seat is relatively comfortable and it is very  light so you can get in deep on public land - which is usually a must if you want to get away from the nonsense (like having someone walk right through your hunting area 10 minutes before shooting time which happened to me this Saturday because I was too lazy to go in deep). I  haven't done an all day sit in it yet but I think it is doable.

I was between the M7 and the XOP vanish or air-raid. I think the final factor was the abundance of Cabelas gift cards I had laying around. That being said, probably can't go wrong with any of those 3 stands. 

edit: I should mention that I have customized my camlock strap a bit by adding a Heavy Duty carabiner and a Petzl Axess climbing quickdraw. This makes removing the pin from the camlock unnecessary. Not only does this save time but it makes the process of hanging the camlock much quieter. 

Edited by newjerseyhunter

agree to the stand/sticks Jay recommended for public.   Do NOT leave it in the woods, as they most certainly will disappear. Practice setting them up in a non-hunting situation (your yard preferably).    Also practice shooting from the stand with your hunting gear on.   Simulate real hunting shots.  Bend at the waist like a pendulum for close shots where you have to aim "down".    Do NOT let setting up your new stand and climbing sticks for the very first time - be on a hunt.   I would not even think about baiting any time soon if I was starting out.  You experienced hunting with one of the top master-baiters in the state, so that is not necessarily the norm :). 

On public ground, most likely so much of it is already heavily baited.   You want to find transition areas between other folks bait sites and get far off beaten path.  Hard to beat natural food sources and acorns rule this time of year.    With the rut nearly upon us and already a lot of chasing and other pre-rut activities going on, you are better served to find a major run far off the beaten path, preferably terrain that lends itself to be a natural funnel, and just sit and be ready because it can change in a moment.  But you need to have the mindset that you could sit all day and see nothing but squirrels and birds, or you could also be suprised by a deer, a buck, a doe, or a giant buck at any time!    That's the joy of it.     

Keep it simple for now and just know your gear and setup and how to safely use it and shoot from it.    

SAFETY HARNESS - MUST HAVE!   That just goes without saying. 

good luck

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Buddlakebowhunter said:

Welcome budd.  The learning experience is the best part of hunting.  Get to know the rules and regulations in the book before taking your test.  The rest will fall in place with experience.  Your buddies will help the most.  Don't dismiss the option of hunting off the ground from natural blinds.  Deer don't know what to make of a hunter on the ground anymore. :)

Hold your pin on the target throughout and after the release of the arrow, and don't grip the bow tightly.  Just let it hang between thumb and forefinger, touching it lightly with other fingers  if needed just to steady it.  It's going to take time to build up muscles to hold it steady.  Pull back and hold on a bungie cord while watching tv.

Baiting isn't allowed on federal lands, and maybe some special park hunts.  Otherwise you're good to go if you want to take that avenue.  

Edited by Greybeard

Also please study this thread.  There is a green blob above the heart on a diagram...  You want to INTERSECT that dot, but in order to do so you have to "shoot through the deer" and visualize your exit.   Understand angles.    AVOID any shot that is head on or "quartering to you". Broadside and up to 45 degrees quartering away is optimal. No exception - especially not until you get 20 deer under your belt.  

• Like 1