Buck154

Good 2 Days of Bear season

I took the first 2 days off to bear hunt.

Sat all day Monday on the high ridge side and saw a single about 7:30am and then at 9:30 had a sow and a 2 year old cub come in. Nice sow but I'm looking for something a little better for now. She has double ear tags. Then they came back at 1:30pm and stayed for a hour plus then nothing the rest of the night.

Tuesday..had to sit opposite side on the low side of the bait as the wind was opposite as Monday. Had a smaller bear come in for a short time at first light.  At 11:30 I it out to go grab some lunch and some bait with strong scent to maybe attract and bear out sooner. While back at the truck I have 2 quads go by and they rode right through my bait and this is private land :banghead:.  My friend that gave me permission is pissed about that and hopes he can identify them from the trail cam pictures.  Back in by 1pm. About 5;45 I have a sow with 2  one year old cubs come in and stay till dark. Smaller female. Had to push them away from the bait as I got out. They didn't even want to leave. At 20 yards I was talking to them to leave :laughing:. They slowly headed out as I walked towards them. 

Another thing is if bears ate just Chipmunks and Squirrels we would have 1000 lber all over there. There are so many. Ever had a chipmunk on my foot twice as they ran all over the place.

No kill but still a good 2 days with seeing 7 different bears. 

Couple pictures 

Screenshot_20191014-100510.png

20191015_173232.jpg

20191015_173113.jpg

Edited by Buck154
  • Like 24

2 minutes ago, SPEARFISH said:

Sounds like a good time.  See any deer while you were out?

No deer seen but did have one blow at me yesterday

Huge credit given to you John for 2 all day sits. Well done! You will be rewarded for being selective, as you know the bear you want. 

With regard to the atv's, I feel they will be identified shortly with summons' being issued. Just sayin' ;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, electric10162 said:

Good stuff John.

How do you like the Ravin?

It's a crossbow. They are all the same to me. I always try to shoot my buck 20 yds and less so having one that say you can 100 yds don't mean much. If they are going to keep coming I will let them.  Price was right from a friend.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buck154 said:

It's a crossbow. They are all the same to me. I always try to shoot my buck 20 yds and less so having one that say you can 100 yds don't mean much. If they are going to keep coming I will let them.  Price was right from a friend.  

Closer is always better!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buck154 said:

because you are a bowhunter John- crossbow is not by choice.   Huge difference... Just sayin'... 

LOL there I stirred THAT POT..     

Just kidding guys - we are all bowhunters, right?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Shooting game is getting less important to me as I strive to enjoy the total outdoors experience. Observing nature undisturbed, and passing on legal game setting higher goals for yourself is laudable. You are a true sportsman John. The more like you ,the better the future of hunting looks.

FB_IMG_1571278574920.jpg

Edited by Zipper
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Zipper said:

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Shooting game is getting less important to me as I strive to enjoy the total outdoors experience. Observing nature undisturbed, and passing on legal game setting higher goals for yourself is laudable. You are a true sportsman John. The more like you ,the better the future of hunting looks.

FB_IMG_1571278574920.jpg

Yeah it was a very successful hunt seeing 7 different bears. Guys up north see them all the time so they think nothing of them but to us guys from Central or south Jersey its cool to see. I love just being out there enjoying wildlife of all sorts. 

• Like 2