mazzgolf

wood duck sounds

This will be only my second (I think) early duck season. I bought my first wood duck call recently. I have no idea how to use this thing :) so I'm going to the Internets for the rescue!

I found this - has some really good audio with some good real-world wood ducks. So if you are interested in hearing what real wood ducks sound like when on the water, here you go:

https://musicofnature.com/wood-duck-revelry/

I have to hurry up and practice before the wife gets home so I don't drive her crazy :)

• Like 1

I have wood ducks in my yard several months out of the year and those sounds did not sound very familiar to me.72343818_10215752651995506_9662811151888

In my years of experience wood duck hunting you are better off finding where they are going than calling. They frighten very easily. You are better off just sitting motionless at the ambush point. One blown call and it’s over. They also usually circle the area they want to land several times before they commit to landing. Just be patient and wait

• Like 1

Try “toooo-wittt” the wit part is where you break over. That’s the sound I use and hear 90% of the time. I’ve called in pairs and stuff circling right into the dekes.

Directions for a wood duck call say "too-weet" is how you blow the call. That is a flying sound. You do that call and the wood duck will look for another wood duck that's flying or get spooked because your making that sound while the decoy is on the water. Here is a youtube video of a Wood Duck on the ground. Way different sounds.

• Like 2

I agree with MG, I don't think woodies are a good decoy or call responsive bird but hey it can't hurt!

• Like 1