NJ Predator

Predictions on the Rut

1 hour ago, Stan Putz said:

Somebody coached you well, because you hit the nail squarely on the head!:up:

Thank you! Nope lol self taught.

I wish I had a mentor this was all gathered from being in the woods almost everyday from Oct 15-Nov 20 every year.

When I know more I will mentor someone as I wished someone mentored me.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Halloween week has always been my favorite week to hunt.  The bucks are on their feet and cruising but it's not the hit or miss crazy frantic running around that comes in the following two weeks.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Buck154 said:

I always like the week of October 20th. Every year I shoot or I know some that kills a big one around that. If we have some cold weather in around there be ready for sure. That is one of the best time to get a big guy before they lock down with a doe. I have been seeing them already checking does and a few grunts so I just hope for cooler weather in the time frame from Oct. 20- Oct.31. 

Does will come into heat no matter what the weather is around the same time every year but the cooler weather will have the bucks running harder.

Like John says..that's an excellent time frame. Just looking at usprimetimes shows very good all day 25th - 29th, with a new moon on 27th.

20191009_102904.thumb.jpg.358d3804eddec9bbfa6543b776c2b840.jpg

• Like 4

I'm headed to my NY camp for bow hunting the 30th of October through the 3rd of November.  I will be back up for rifle season which begins on the 16th of November.  That's the tail end of the first rut which is an early gun season this year.  Plus I can hunt in zone 6 here in NJ when I'm not in NY.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

I'm headed to my NY camp for bow hunting the 30th of October through the 3rd of November.  

Perfect time, good luck BnBs.  :cheers:

3 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

I try to always be in a tree on November 11th......my Rutgers wildlife professor told me that's the magical day 20+ yrs ago, and it hasn't disappointed yet!!

Also my Bday! Great day to be in the woods!👍

• Like 1

I love the week before Halloween up to November 10th, then again Thanksgiving week. 

Prediction is ...it happens every year around the same time

• Agree 1

I am off from October 19th through the 26th. I go back to work for a week and have another week off. So hopefully my trend continues of killing a good buck both those weeks since one is bow and the other week is extended.   

• Like 1

My rule of thumb is is it gets going around the time the clocks change.

It is triggered by waining daylight hours. The clock change seem to coincide with the shorter daylight hours that effect their patuitary gland to get them chasing does.

On the downside that occurs after the regular bow season ends so the DFW can nickle and dime us with the extended bow permit and buck tag.

Posted (edited)

I'm off Oct.28th thru Nov. 1, if it cools down the prior week would be good for cruisers as well, after that the big boys are stuck to a tail making it difficult to kill with a call

Edited by bucky
  • Agree 1