NJ Predator

Predictions on the Rut

Alright so let me get this started here. When will the rut hit this year!!!??? Need to take a day or two off for it. I haven't seen the Wing on here with his expertise so someone will have to step up and take his place. Let's here it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always like the week of October 20th. Every year I shoot or I know some that kills a big one around that. If we have some cold weather in around there be ready for sure. That is one of the best time to get a big guy before they lock down with a doe. I have been seeing them already checking does and a few grunts so I just hope for cooler weather in the time frame from Oct. 20- Oct.31. 

Does will come into heat no matter what the weather is around the same time every year but the cooler weather will have the bucks running harder.

• Like 5

I try to spend as much time as I can the last week of October and the first week or two in November.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

I like November 4 -10.   And any time between Oct 26-Nov.4 if it drops below freezing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Full moon is later this year - November 12 I think. But rut starts and ends about same time every year.  Just remember “peak rut” is actually toughest hunting.  Pre and early part and post and tail end are often better. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

It will happen same time every year regardless of the moon phase.

Now if we have warmers days it will put a little hamper, but from my experience prime time was from Oct 25-Nov15, but November 3-8 being the time I have seen the most deer on their feet.

But what do I know I am still a newbie lol

• Haha 1

Where I live & hunt they are on the move now. But it will ramp up more in the next couple weeks.

Trying to pick a specific day or two is chancy at best. Those 2 days could be a washout with weather or wind.

Hunt any time you can between the last week of October & the first 2 weeks in November. Remember where you heard it. ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MZ7Extreme said:

It will happen same time every year regardless of the moon phase.

Now if we have warmers days it will put a little hamper, but from my experience prime time was from Oct 25-Nov15, but November 3-8 being the time I have seen the most deer on their feet.

But what do I know I am still a newbie lol

Somebody coached you well, because you hit the nail squarely on the head!:up:

• Like 1

Last big buck I shot, 4.5yo, was cruising mid day on October 14th

10 minutes ago, Stan Putz said:

Where I live & hunt they are on the move now. But it will ramp up more in the next couple weeks.

Trying to pick a specific day or two is chancy at best. Those 2 days could be a washout with weather or wind.

Hunt any time you can between the last week of October & the first 2 weeks in November. Remember where you heard it. ;)

That's what I do, any chance I get I am in the woods. It never gets old.

• Agree 1

I try to always be in a tree on November 11th......my Rutgers wildlife professor told me that's the magical day 20+ yrs ago, and it hasn't disappointed yet!!

• Like 3

I too have has good luck the end of October. I think they are already chasing if the does are ready or not . ( by then) 

• Like 1

November 10-19 my favorite time.  But as far as picking one day November 7 has always been a great day in my area.

• Like 1