IGNORED

Zone 48

APG

5 hours ago, APG said:

Thanks everyone - my first deer! Been trying for the past two years so very happy. Hit was a double lung.

IMG_5161.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been following you and enjoying your hunting adventures,and rooting for you.NICE SHOT! Way to recover!Congratulations!!!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks everyone. You’ve all been helpful and generous with advice on here. Appreciate it.

So I walked all over the area, a thick as hell overgrown field - 500ftx1000ft. Brutal. I scoured every square foot, and then back tracked and did it again. Took three hours total.

This time i came across my arrow, and I saw a small doe moving at the same time (unrelated it turns out). The arrow was in a direct line East of where I shot the deer almost six hours prior.

So I went extra extra careful now through the thick, and saw my doe all covered in vines and things - she’d run into a thicket and got caught and died there. The arrow didn’t pass through - it was a double lung shot though. Once I gutted and butchered her, I saw that the broadhead had actually gone through both sides of the rib cage but stopped just behind her skin on the exit side. I guess it was slowed down as it passed through the brush.

Feel very glad I stuck with it. I really thought I was just wasting my time there for the final hour, and especially so after the dog tracking chap decided I had no chance.

39 minutes ago, APG said:

Thanks everyone. You’ve all been helpful and generous with advice on here. Appreciate it.

So I walked all over the area, a thick as hell overgrown field - 500ftx1000ft. Brutal. I scoured every square foot, and then back tracked and did it again. Took three hours total.

This time i came across my arrow, and I saw a small doe moving at the same time (unrelated it turns out). The arrow was in a direct line East of where I shot the deer almost six hours prior.

So I went extra extra careful now through the thick, and saw my doe all covered in vines and things - she’d run into a thicket and got caught and died there. The arrow didn’t pass through - it was a double lung shot though. Once I gutted and butchered her, I saw that the broadhead had actually gone through both sides of the rib cage but stopped just behind her skin on the exit side. I guess it was slowed down as it passed through the brush.

Feel very glad I stuck with it. I really thought I was just wasting my time there for the final hour, and especially so after the dog tracking chap decided I had no chance.

Good for you,  I think the dog not coming out in your case is s blessing in disguise..  while I'll agree the tracking dogs are a great tool as a last chance effort but I think it encourages poor woodsman ship and tracking skills..  I seen a few times guys will look fast and immediately say call the dog when if you take your time and look the sign is there.. or on a track I've asked why didnt you wait. And get well I figured the dog would find it if we couldnt.. again not knocking the dogs but I just feel that it leads to lack of tracking skills,   what you learned on this track is more than any dog could have taught you..  again this is just my opinion and I could be way off base 

Edited by vdep217