birdshotnj

2019 Wyoming Elk Hunt

2 hours ago, DBuck said:

Good luck and safe travels. Hopefully you put something down like one of these.

image.png.ccaa13a24a3bcf792ff33b5455f54755.png

What is interesting is the outfit he is hunting with, the old man who has passed this year had a cabin very similar to this pic with MANY world class mounts.  Probably 50 of them including all North American Sheep, 200" deer, 400" Elk, etc all taken with the bow.  

• Like 1

Day 2 we started riding long before sun up and rode into the bridge teton forest for about 3 hours. Saw an absolute ton of fresh elk sign and every animal except bull elk. Mulies, moose, you name it. Moved from ridge to ridge glassing, covering about 15 miles total for the day. On the ride out saw a ton again, just no bulls. Heading back out now for day 3

20191008_100015.jpg

20191008_073030.jpg

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

I'm thoroughly jealous. Best of luck to you.

Did you get any other tags?

Edited by Faster
  • Like 1

Was out there last week on a father and son mini vacation in Yellowstone saw elk, sheep black bear and got real close to three different grizzlies, The countryside is beautiful, enjoy everything about the hunt not bagging an animal should  not take away from the total experience. I bow hunted elk in Colorado back in 1979, was my most memorable hunt, even though I didn't fill my tag. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, birdshotnj said:

Day 2 we started riding long before sun up and rode into the bridge teton forest for about 3 hours. Saw an absolute ton of fresh elk sign and every animal except bull elk. Mulies, moose, you name it. Moved from ridge to ridge glassing, covering about 15 miles total for the day. On the ride out saw a ton again, just no bulls. Heading back out now for day 3.

What a fun trip,  enjoy yourself BS and best of luck with your bull.  

3 hours ago, tuny said:

Was out there last week on a father and son mini vacation in Yellowstone saw elk, sheep black bear and got real close to three different grizzlies, The countryside is beautiful, enjoy everything about the hunt not bagging an animal should  not take away from the total experience. I bow hunted elk in Colorado back in 1979, was my most memorable hunt, even though I didn't fill my tag. 

I was just out there for 12 days with my wife. 5 states and 2 thousand miles later on the rental I’m back to reality! It’s just unbelievable country, loved the Tetons. Was there for Yellowstones first snowfall and got pretty close to some grizz myself...

63C0D103-B453-4B93-B594-5921F60FE46D.jpeg

6358F588-783A-4B7C-B8A0-6ED0C59A78B3.jpeg

4CA5BA18-A227-4888-B59C-63A3A05C21C8.jpeg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Faster said:

I'm thoroughly jealous. Best of luck to you.

Did you get any other tags?

No I was unsuccessful for mulie and antelope

Day 3 is in the books. Hunted really hard this morning in a snow storm and saw a nice bull moose and a cow and a ton of mule deer. Storm cleared out by early afternoon so we rode about 4 miles in and hitched the horses then did another couple miles on foot up a huge ridge. As soon as we reached the top the storm rolled back in out of nowhere and cut down visibility to nothing. We waited it out and the storm cleared out again right before sundown. Glassed the ridge some more and saw another bull moose but no elk. Start to come down off the mountain and over on the next ridge we spot 2 bull elks. We hauled ass down the mountain and partially up the next ridge that they were feeding on. They fed their way up the ridge and by the time the one bull stepped out there was 4 minutes of shooting light left, and the only shot he presented me with was a texas heart shot at 360 yards. We are heading there in the morning in the hopes that they stuck around. Wish me luck fellas

20191009_184436.jpg

20191009_182025.jpg

Edited by birdshotnj
  • Like 14

On 10/6/2019 at 3:03 AM, birdshotnj said:

Heading out to Wyoming in about an hour for an elk hunt. Been wanting to do this for a while, and it finally all came together this year. Looking forward to hunting some beautiful country.

Is this a guided hunt? I am dying to get out to places like this and have a guided hunt. If the price is reasonable and you have any details please DM me!!

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, birdshotnj said:

Took the horses out this morning, started riding well before sun up. Covered a ton of ground and glassed lots of ridges. Ran into a ton of fresh elk sign so resting up now and gonna see if we can run into them tonightimageproxy.php?img=&key=690b23852e6d9142imageproxy.php?img=&key=690b23852e6d9142imageproxy.php?img=&key=690b23852e6d9142

IMG_20191007_144050_440.jpg

IMG_20191007_144050_438.jpg

Great pics, looks like an awesome trip! Keep at it :up:

• Like 1

Can’t wait to read about it! Was just telling the wife that for my 40th I want to do a backcountry elk trip.! Details on outfitter please...

• Like 1