IGNORED

Knee gel shots

madeinuk

Injured my left knee in my twenties and had most of the cartilage removed at that time given the primitive state of knee surgery in the U.K. at that time.   Now over thirty years later I have osteoarthritis in that joint and cannot even contract my hamstring now without severe and intense pain.

Steriod shots no longer do it and I have heard that even partial knee replacements only last twenty years and that you can only get one - planning on a lot more than twenty years of mischief yet!  Another option that I have heard of is gel shots which buy some relief for a little longer before the inevitable replacement surgery.

Posting here in the hope that people who have been through this will share their experiences and advice...

This sucks and now that the weather is finally right the timing could not be worse!

Edited by madeinuk

Gel only worked for less than a week for me, and then partial knee replacement last year. I am 56 so no big deal, I have had arthroscopic done on both knees, so I know a total replacement is coming in about 20 years but if I live that long, so be it. I just had a pacemaker removed and a pacemaker/defibrillator installed last week. 

So, take what comes and don’t look to far forward with what ifs and maybes,  you never know what is around the corner.

my knee feels fantastic by the way

I have had the chicken shots a few years now .

have great results from them .

like getting slick 50 put it them.

now instead of being made from a roosters comb it made artificially.

Ones I have got are called Synvisc

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 minute ago, Nighthawk said:

I had the chicken shots a few years back. It was a series of 6 shots.  I personally did not get any relief from them but it was worth a try. 

Never heard of a 6 series .

thought you could only get t done 2 ways.

1 way is 1 large shot .

the other was a series of 3 .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I was told ten years ago I would need two total knees in order to get me through till I was at an age that they would do it the surgeon had to cut off the knee cap and screw it back in place to keep it in place while doing this he drilled holes in the tibia and femur allowing the blood to get in to the knee with hopes of growing cartilage. ten years later I still feel good so it must have worked only downside  was 60 days of absolutely no pressure on the leg..

Edited by buckhound

My wife had chicken shots and the first worked for a month or so.  Second time was no help.  My buddy tried on both sides and nothing worked. We did find a good ortho guy in Union. He worked overseas in the army in a combat hospital patching soldiers up.  I figure he saw everything there so what we present should be pretty easy. 

I had cortisone shots two series of gel shots one before arthroscopic surgery one after arthroscopic surgery and it still did nothing ended up with a total right knee replacement at 55 years old then later the same year a total right hip replacement it was a bad year

I’ve had the rooster comb, shark fin and artificial gel injections in knees, hips and shoulders. All seemed to work well for 1-2 weeks. I’ve had 2 knees, 2 hips and 1 shoulder and still fix cars every day. Arthritis is eating me alive but, it beats the other option...

Thanks for the encouraging words guys - hobbling around like an 80 year old while in my 50's is just not working for me.

I think that I'll talk with D'Agostini from tri-county - he is a no bullshit guy - about the partial replacement surgery.  I want to get it done and dusted before the winter hits us...