Bonefreak

Chicken of the Woods!!!

Found some near the house after fishin this AM....nice lil treat after getting skunked at fishin!!

I found a bunch last October in WV and brought it home.....i got rid of some that we didn't get to eat behind the house......wondering if this is spawn from the WV COW, as i have never seen it before near the house!!

20191005_082301.jpg

20191005_085717.jpg

20191005_090608.jpg

20191005_091000.jpg

• Like 11
  • Winner 1

Looks tasty, never had it before but I wanna give some a try, guess I'll start lookin harder when I'm in the woods.  When is the best time to look for it and what types of areas are good?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Septicdude said:

Looks tasty, never had it before but I wanna give some a try, guess I'll start lookin harder when I'm in the woods.  When is the best time to look for it and what types of areas are good?

I'm not a pro....but past few yrs I found em it's been warm October days in the Oak woods and rain has been recent. 

Posted (edited)

When the pieces are young they can be tender but when thick and old they can be like eating thick dried cardboard in my experience.

I now only take the smallest and freshest looking pieces and put them into things which will already be fairly 'wet' like stews and soups.

The young and tender bits do have a texture reminiscent of chicken breast itself.

I would be greatly interested in hearing about the experiences of others here regarding cooking and eating them too.

Edited by madeinuk
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, madeinuk said:

When the pieces are young they can be tender but when thick and old they can be like eating thick dried cardboard in my experience.

I now only take the smallest and freshest looking pieces and put them into things which will already be fairly 'wet' like stews and soups.

The young and tender bits do have a texture reminiscent of chicken breast itself.

I would be greatly interested in hearing about the experiences of others here regarding cooking and eating them too.

The younger smaller ones are best.  I've only ever fried them in butter/oil.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madeinuk said:

I cut a bunch off last year. Cooked them up and threw them out. 

I saw some of that today.  What's the secret for correct ID?  Any look alikes?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I saw some of that today.  What's the secret for correct ID?  Any look alikes?

Not a shroom expert....but I don't think there are toxic look alikes